Here in San Diego it may be sunny out, but as Dave reminded me other parts of the world are still having a cold spell, some even with lots of snow. So I thought my Tex Mex Chicken Corn Soup might be something that would warm you guys up. I have a new video to give you an idea how quickly this can be made and most likely with pantry items you already have on hand, too.
Made in the Instant Pot it’s a cinch to come together and the aroma as it simmers away is wonderful.
Warm spices in this are cumin and chili powder. I add green chilis as well and the flavor is light and not overly spicy. Fresh veggies like onion, garlic, carrots and of course corn. It’s starting to come in season and I’m making the most of it here. I use corn kernels as well as creamed corn to thicken the soup. Evaporated milk is used because it has less water and fat than a heavy cream and helps achieve a creamy consistency just fine.
I’ll share a little kitchen hack I use to shred up chicken in a jiffy. I use my electric mixer! Yep, drop that cooked chicken in, use the paddle attachment to do the heavy work and BAM. Shredded chicken is done.
Some might say that’s lazy, but I am always using my kitchen utensils, that’s why I bought them. Use them people and save time.
For some texture and toppings I like to sprinkle diced red bell pepper, cilantro and a squeeze of lime to finish this soup off. If you’re interested in some other Tex Mex recipes, try my Easy Chicken Tamale Pie or my Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers. Enjoy!
Tex-Mex Chicken Corn Soup
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ground chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 7 oz can diced green chilies
- 29 oz can whole kernel corn or 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 14.75 oz can cream sweet corn
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Limes for garnish
- In an Instant Pot or large soup pot over medium heat add the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken, carrots, green chilis, corn kernels, cream of corn, corn starch, chicken stock and evaporated milk. Stir to combine and if using Instant Pot, close the lid and set to Soup. If cooking in a large soup pot, cover and simmer on low for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, red bell peppers and limes to garnish.