There’s a million ways to dress up chicken and this Tahini Marinated Grilled Chicken is one more in my recipe arsenal to share with you. Not over powering in sesame flavor, the tahini adds an almost tenderizing quality to the chicken, not to mention the incredible flavor.
This pairs nicely with a refreshing Shirazi Salad with Chickpeas and makes for a quick mid-week meal if you plan ahead and marinate the night before.
And the marinade my friends is absolutely delicious. The tahini is just part of it.
Made with fresh parsley and rosemary, lemon and shallots it’s easy to mix and all you do is pour over the chicken in a plastic zip bag and marinate overnight.
I love the charred flavor that grilling gives and the tahini just adds to it. Tahini is a condiment made from toasted, ground sesame seeds. It’s mostly known as the main flavoring in hummus and baba ghanoush and can be served as a dip on its own, too.
A fairly light and healthy dinner or lunch to serve your family, it is great wrapped up in pita or any of your favorite bread wraps.
I like it served simply with the Shirazi Salad with Chickpeas a beautiful salad comprised of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley and my addition of chickpeas that get dressed in olive oil and lemon. I omitted the usually added diced, red onion because of the shallots in the marinade dressing that’s drizzled on top. The marinated grilled chicken leftovers are even better the next day in a sandwich.
For other grilled chicken dishes, try my Amazing Thai Grilled Chicken or Honey Glazed Harissa Grilled Chicken. If you’d like other hummus ideas, try my Hummus with Lamb and Lemon Herb Sauce or my Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus is a kicker in flavor. Enjoy!
Tahini Marinated Grilled Chicken is not over powering in sesame flavor, but the tahini adds an almost tenderizing quality to the chicken and amazing flavor. Adapted from Cooking Light. Prep time does not include 8 hours to marinate.
- 8 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini paste
- 1 shallot finely chopped (See Note 1)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (See Note 2)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1 tbsp water
- In a medium sized bowl combine the oil, tahini, shallot, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, herbs, water and lemon juice and zest. Stir to mix well. Scoop out 1/4 cup of marinade and set aside.
To the reserved marinade, add 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and 1 tablespoon of water and mix. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large gallon sized ziplock bag add the chicken and pour tahini marinade over, seal and massage with hands to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your grill to 400°F. Clean grill and coat with cooking spray. Shake excess marinade from chicken and grill and cook 2-4 minutes per side depending on thickness of chicken, covered. Discard marinade and bag.
- Serve with reserved marinade drizzled on top.
- Shallots vary in size, but you will need about 1/3 of a cup total.
- Typically it’s about the juice from half a medium sized lemon.