These Sweet and Spicy Baked Beans have a little secret flavor weapon that may sound strange, yet is so good. Made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot for that day-long cooked melding of flavors taste, it’s on the table in about an hour and there’s no need to heat up the kitchen. Sound good?
Sweet and Spicy Baked Beans
So did everyone have a wonderful Fourth of July? Were the grills and BBQ meals in overload? We were smoking ribs and kicking back at home. Sometimes the crowds and driving to and from parties is a bit much with traffic and since we live on a hill overlooking the bay, we get to see the fireworks in a few strategic spots without having to fight for a parking space somewhere.
One of the sides I made were these kick butt Sweet and Spicy Baked Beans. These are sweet and at the same time get a nice kick of heat (not too much, but you can always add more chipotle chiles if you like!) and the bacon adds that extra smokey quality I love in baked beans. I like to garnish the top of each bowl with some sour cream or thick, Greek yogurt, bacon crumbles and a little parsley.
Like I mentioned they have a secret flavor weapon that adds such a nice nuanced flavor that packs lots of flavor. It’s one of my favorite fruits. Yes I said a fruit.
Sweet and tangy, firm, chopped peaches are the flavor weapon for these awesome “baked” beans.
I put that baked in quotes because these can be made in no time at all, less than an hour really with an Instant Pot. If you don’t have one a 4 hour stint in the slow cooker will do just as nicely, too. No all day simmering in the oven to heat up the house with this recipe!
And to show you how easy this is to make I made a new video for you. Check it out!
Looking for other slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes? Check out my Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Bowls, Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Sticky Ribs, Slow Cooker Flank Steak Street Tacos or my Mom’s Slow Cooker Guest Pot Roast Enjoy!
Sweet and Spicy Baked Beans
- 4 slices thick bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 - 15 oz can unsalted cannellini beans drained
- 2 - 15 oz can unsalted pinto beans drained
- 2 cups peaches chopped (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Over medium high heat in a large skillet or in Instant Pot/Slow cooker cook and render bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside on a paper towel, leaving bacon fat in pan.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to incorporate thoroughly. Close lid on Instant Pot and push Beans setting. If using a slow cooker cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve with more diced peaches, crumbled bacon and sour cream if desired (See Note 2).