This is one of my all-time favorite chicken dishes. It is easy to prepare and the lemon and cilantro add a fresh taste to this steamed dish. There is no sauté or frying, this is steamed in a bowl over boiling water. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables for a healthy, clean meal.
Steamed Lemon Chicken
- 10 chicken tenders or 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cilantro oil optional
- pinch of white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Rinse and cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- With a potato peeler, remove just the lemon peel into strips, making sure not to take the white, bitter rind and set aside.
- Juice the lemon and add it to a mixing bowl along with the lemon peel strips. Add the next 11 ingredients, mix well.
- Chop the rinsed cilantro (reserve a 1/4 cup) and add to the bowl along with the chopped chicken. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Start the steamed rice, this should take 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken mixture in a heat-proof dish and place in steamer. I use a bamboo steamer that can be stacked and the vegetables placed in the other, purchased from an Asian market. Steam the chicken for 15 minutes, or until the chicken turns white, stir occasionally.
- Remove the lemon peel strips. Serve chicken and sauce over steamed rice with vegetables of your choice and sprinkle the remaining chopped cilantro over chicken.