These chicken tostadas have delicious layers of green chili chicken and cheese. Make this tostada recipe for dinner in just 30 minutes!
This chicken tostada recipe gets its flavor from the layers of shredded chicken in green chile sauce (sauce verde). It makes a simple base that’s delicious on its own, but even more delicious piled with extra toppings.
It’s also easy to double or triple this recipe, making it a great option for lunches during the week or to feed a crowd.
Use ready-made ingredients to save time or make everything from scratch for a more authentic, homemade meal.
Chicken Tostada Ingredient Substitutions
Note: This is just a partial list of ingredients. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Shredded chicken – Getting a rotisserie chicken from the store saves time and preparation, but feel free to make your own from boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Tostada shells – These are basically corn tortillas that have been fried or baked flat until crispy. Save time by using store-bought or make your own if you’d prefer.
- Green chili sauce – Use your favorite canned variety or make a homemade version by thinning out roasted salsa verde with about a cup of chicken broth. Or, make my recipe for sauce verde!
- Monterey Jack cheese – Substitute with cheddar, Colby, Pepper Jack, or even mozzarella.
Additional topping ideas
Get creative by adding more ingredients to this dish, based on your flavor preferences. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Making Green Chili Chicken
- Simmer the chicken: Start by adding the shredded chicken and green chile sauce to a pan, then simmer so the chicken can soak up all the flavors.
- Build the tostadas: Lay half of the shells on a baking sheet, then stack layers of green chile chicken and cheese with another shell in the middle.
- Garnish and serve: Broil the tostadas to melt the cheese. Finally, top with jalapeños and cilantro before serving.
Chicken Tostada Recipe Notes
- Make ahead – It’s easy to shred the chicken ahead of time and store for later use. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Or, freeze for up to 2 months and thaw before reheating in the microwave.
- Shredded cheese – Always buy fresh and shred your own – bagged shreds have a preservative that prevents them from melting properly.
- Meal prep – Make a large batch of the green chile chicken and store it in the refrigerator. Then, build individual tostadas for a quick and easy lunch. The chicken will be reheated under the broiler while the cheese melts.
3 Easy Ways to Shred Chicken
Whether you use a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts or thighs, here’s how to shred it for this chicken tostada recipe:
- By hand: Pull the chicken apart with your fingers to make long strands and smaller pieces. It’s easiest to do this when the chicken is still warm, but cool enough that you won’t burn yourself.
- With two forks: This method is similar to using your fingers, but the tines of the forks do the work for you.
- Using a stand mixer: This is by far the quickest and easiest method if you don’t mind the extra dishes. Add the cooked chicken to the bowl and run it on low with the paddle attachment until all of the chicken is shredded to the correct size.
Other Green Chili Chicken Recipes
With the same delicious green chile chicken, my Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas have a similar flavor to the chicken tostadas.
Here are some other quick and easy dishes featuring green chili chicken:
- Mac and cheese muffins stuffed with green chicken are SO delicious, and kids love these muffins!
- Green chile chicken pasta
- Green chili chicken soup is a cross between soup and stew. It’s flavorful and really hearty!
This post, originally published on Sept. 11, 2020, was last updated with new content on Sept. 22, 2021.
Green Chili Chicken Tostadas
- 1 lb roasted chicken shredded
- 28 oz green chile sauce
- 12 tostada shells
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- In a large saucepan add the shredded chicken and green chile sauce. Simmer uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir to mix and heat evenly.
- Place 6 tostada shells on lined baking sheet. Divide half the green chile chicken over the first layer of shells. Top each with a third cup of cheese and repeat with another layer of tostada shells, both green chile chicken and cheese.
- Place baking sheet under the broiler to melt cheese. Top with any remaining green chile sauce in pan, jalapeño slice or chopped cilantro and serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.