Every once in a while I enjoy a good home made sandwich, not one from a fast food chain. In this simple recipe I take the average tuna fish sandwich and bump it up a notch. Adding jalapeños for spice, celery for crunch and with the shredded cheddar cheese in the tuna fish mix it allows the cheese to melt throughout.
The seasoning salt I like to use is from Bob’s Big Boy restaurant chain. It was the very first restaurant I remember going to the day I moved to San Diego, never been to one before. The memory of the Big Boy Combo, a sesame seed double decker with cheese, fries and a small side salad topped with Bob’s Blue Cheese dressing was heaven. The chain came and went and recently we discovered a new one re-opened in El Cajon. It was fun to relive the memory, but sometimes it’s best to leave them there. The experience and “new Big Boy Combo” just didn’t live up to the memory, but the seasoning salt still does. I buy it online now and keep it around the kitchen as my staple go to seasoner. It has traces of celery and curry powder and the usual suspects.
Spicy Tuna Melt
- 4 slices sour dough bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can of tuna fish
- 4 tbsp+ mayonaise
- 1/4 cup jalapeño rings
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Bob's Seasoning Salt or your favorite
- Dijon Mustard
- bacon crumbled - optional
- In a bowl add the drained tuna fish, enough mayonnaise to make spreadable and mix thoroughly.
- Cook some bacon, let cool and crumble. Set aside - this is optional.
- Chop the jalapeño rings and stalk of celery into fine dice. Add to tuna fish mixture. Add bacon at this point if you like, I switch it up and sometimes omit. Season to taste with Bob's Big Boy seasoning salt or your favorite. Add the crackled black pepper and mix.
- Spread the Dijon Mustard over the sourdough bread on one side and layer with the tuna fish mixture. Top with other piece of sourdough bread and butter both outsides. Sprinkle a little Bob's Seasoning salt on each side if you like, too.
- Brown the tuna fish sandwich on each side, being careful not to burn. Remove from pan, let cool slightly an enjoy.