This coconut based sauce is spiced up with a favorite of mine, Sambal Oelek. I’ve been using this for years, way before the Sriracha craze. This red chili paste is a great condiment on it’s own and I like the fact it hasn’t been blended and has a little chunk to it still.
It is simply made from red chilies, salt and vinegar. I decided to add some chunky peanut butter and in the Vitamix it all went for a thick, flavorful sauce to cover the seared beef strips and vegetables.
In a bowl add the freshly grated ginger and soy sauce to the beef strips and toss to coat. Let marinate for 15 minutes and get started on chopping the vegetables.
Next I sliced up the celery on the bias and I steamed some sliced carrots, cut on the bias as well, for several minutes to cut down the cooking time when all thrown together with the beef strips.
Get a wok or a large skillet piping hot to sear the beef. I decided not to add any oil to the pan, I wanted these seared quickly and to develop char like flavor. These cooked quickly and after several minutes I added the vegetables. Deglaze with some beef broth to loosen up the bits of crunchy bits on the pan bottom and toss to coat all.
After several minutes I add the coconut chili and peanut butter mixture. Toss to coat and cook on low for 5 minutes. If it gets too thick add some more beef broth to thin it out.
I like my vegetables to still have some crunch so I try not to overcook them. I also salt to taste at the end as sometimes this gets plenty of flavor already. Plate with a garnish of cilantro and enjoy.
Spicy Coconut Beef and Vegetables
- 1 lb beef top round cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh ground ginger
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Sambal Oelek
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 large carrots
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- cilantro for garnish
- In a blender add the chili paste, peanut butter and coconut milk. Purée until smooth, set aside.
- In a bowl add the fresh ginger and soy sauce to the beef strips cut thin. Toss to coat and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Peel and cut the carrots and celery on the bias. Steam cook the carrots in microwave for several minutes to soften. Cool par cooked carrots under cold water to halt the cooking process and add to bowl with the celery. Set aside.
- Get your wok or large skillet set over high heat for several minutes. Add the marinated beef strips and sear on all sides.
- Add the vegetables and cook for several minutes. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth and stir.
- Next add the coconut mixture and toss to coat. Cook on low for 5 minutes. Plate with garnish of cilantro and over rice is optional.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.