Yesterday we decided to smoke a pork shoulder, but instead of the usual Mexican influenced spices, decided on a little holiday seasoning with cinnamon, orange and a few others. The Smoked Pork Shoulder with Orange and Cinnamon was the result. After a low and slow 14 hour smoke with apple wood the pork shoulder was perfect. We allowed it to cool and shredded the juicy, fall-off-the-bone pork. The aroma was amazing and the meat succulent.
Unfortunately it was 9:30 pm and we had already eaten a healthy dinner of Kerry’s Salad topped off with some roasted chicken from Costco, so I waited for the meat to cool and covered it with foil and put it in the refrigerator for another meal.
I didn’t want to make the usual Pulled Pork Sandwiches or Enchiladas. I thought about it and decided that I would make Smoked Pulled Pork with Orange Crema on Cornbread. I felt it needed to be presented on a base. I envisioned the pulled pork with a drizzle of orange and cinnamon sauce and Crema Mexicana with orange zest, topped off with pickled red onions. It was pretty darn good and there was plenty smoked pulled pork left over to make enchiladas anyways!
Crema is the Mexican version of the French crème fraîche. They both have a tangy, slightly soured flavor and are milder and thinner than American sour cream. I get mine in Latin markets and see them more and more in the major supermarket chains here in San Diego.
Smoked Pulled Pork with Orange Crema on Cornbread
- Smoked Pork Shoulder with Orange and Cinnamon shredded
- 2 Jiffy Cornbread mixes
- 1/2 orange zested
- 1/2 cup frozen orange concentrate
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- crema Mexicana
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 1/2 large red onion sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground Mexican oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes
- cilantro for garnish
- Bake your cornbread per package instructions. I used 2 Jiffy Cornbread mixes and baked in a 13x9 stone bake ware pan. I didn't want a tall cornbread, and this made for a nice thin layer.
- Slice the red onion very thin and in a bowl add it to the cider vinegar, water, sugar, Mexican oregano (crushed in your hands), salt and red pepper flakes. Let marinate for at least an hour or over night as well.
- Warm the shredded pork if cool in a low 225° oven for 12 minutes to heat through.
- In the meantime place the orange concentrate and cinnamon in a small saucepan and cook on low and reduce by half.
- In a small bowl mix the crema and zest from half of the orange. Mix thoroughly to incorporate and set aside to allow flavors to meld.
- To plate, cut a 4x4" slice of cornbread and top it with the heated smoked pulled pork, a drizzle of the orange cinnamon sauce, the orange zest crema, pickled red onions and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.