Pecan Pie is one of my favorites around the holidays! These Slab Pecan Pie Bars are made right in the sheet pan and easily cut up for a hand held dessert bite. Slab pies come with all the goodness of a slice of pie, but in bar form. This pecan pie bar recipe is a little holiday treat to keep in mind! 🙂
Slab Pecan Pie Bars
Imagine all the richness of a slice of pecan pie, but this one has a layer of melted chocolate in between that luscious pecan pie filling and buttery dough crust in bar form. The chocolate addition is completely optional, but I highly recommend it. These Slab Pecan Pie Bars are perfect for large crowds, holiday and family get togethers and just think, no dishes to clean up after either.
Whether it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas, this is a favorite on the dessert table here in the States and I bet elsewhere. Rich, smokey pecans mixed in with a sweet, thick filling of eggs and sugar make for a memorable treat. Not that these bad boys need only be made at holiday time! 🙂
I made these Slab Pecan Pie Bars 3 times to get it just right and am blown away by not only how easy these are to make, but I will guarantee they will be gone in no time. These went over BIG the other evening when we had a housewarming party here at the new house. Happy, smiling, finger-licking people were asking for the recipe so here it is folks. I also made an “extra” batch in the freezer wrapped tight for later. 🙂
What I really like about this one is the crumbled crust dough gets sprinkled in the bottom of a lined sheet pan and then pressed into place. EASY. I actually laid out a sheet of plastic wrap, laid another sheet pan on top and pressed. BAM, done. Save the plastic wrap for another use and you’re good to go. No rolling pin required.
After a pre-bake it comes out of the oven, gets a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips (optional of course, but hey!) and then the pecan filling is poured over the top. Back in the oven to finish off and you have a masterpiece. Allow the Slab Pecan Pie Bars to cool and slice into bars.
Slab Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light-color corn syrup
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 15x10" baking pan.(See Note 1) with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- For crust, in a medium bowl stir together flour, powdered sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture into the prepared baking pan and using hands, press to cover bottom. (See Note 2). Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown. Sprinkle with chocolate chips (optional).
- In a medium bowl stir together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, the 2 tablespoons melted butter, and the vanilla. Add the pecans and gently mix to coat. Pour over the baked crust, spreading evenly. Bake about 20 minutes more or until the filling is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Lift uncut bars out of pan by aluminum foil or parchment paper. Transfer to a cutting board; cut into bars. Makes 24 bars or 48 smaller ones.
2. Sprinkled dough crumbs in the bottom of a lined sheet pan and line with a sheet of plastic wrap, lay another sheet pan on top and press.