In the mood for something spicy hot, I decided on fresh shrimp served over some simple, buttered pasta. I had a few Roma tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and saw a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the pantry. With the addition of some habanero chilies I went to work using my Vitamix to help create a smooth purée to simmer my shrimp in. The result was a fiery, delicious meal served with a cool salad of shredded carrots, parsley, cucumbers and green onions dressed in a jalapeño ranch to counterbalance the heat of the main course.
Shrimp Diablo on Pasta
- 1 lb medium to large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 3 fresh habanero peppers
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 oz spaghetti cooked
- In a Vitamix or large food processor, blend the chipotles, habanero chilies, garlic cloves, Worcestershire, tomatoes, cilantro and chicken stock to a smooth purée.
- On medium heat simmer the chipotle sauce for 10 minutes while the pasta is cooking.
- Clean and devein the shrimp. Wash and pat dry. Simmer in the chipotle sauce for for several minutes. Remove the shrimp and top half the pasta with shrimp. Drizzle sauce on top and garnish with chopped cilantro.