This Shrimp Corn and Barley Salad is a perfect meal that incorporates fresh roasted corn on the cob, nutty barley, salty feta cheese and some freshly grilled shrimp all coated in a lime vinaigrette with toasted walnuts. Hearty yes, and so good!
It was an extremely hot weekend here in San Diego, how about where you’re at?
I heard Phoenix was supposed to be approaching 120°F, which is insanely hot to me. We tried to keep cool, but also made sure to keep plenty of water with us when we took our dogs out. No need for Oliver and Kodi to dehydrate! The beaches were packed and we thought about hiking Mt. Laguna, one of my favorite places, but it was supposed to be in the 90’s so we stayed local and hit up Fiesta Island to get the dogs in the water for some fun.
Recently Dave picked up a Phanthom IV drone, which is really pretty cool to play with. I actually was a little leery of getting behind the controls, but found myself getting the hang of it in no time up at our local park. Needless to say we took it out for a spin this weekend and had a great time.
Dave wants to film the dogs and the areas we hike in the mountains for fun. We are also going to Maui in a month or so for a friend’s wedding. She asked Dave to walk her down the aisle and for me to be her Best Man. Dave was thinking of bringing it and filming that with the drone, as well as some aerial footage of the wedding and hiking while we are there.
Fun times ahead and I can’t wait!
When we got back home from the park Saturday, cooking and heating up the kitchen was the last thing on my mind and I decided on grilling up some fresh corn and doing the same for the fresh jumbo shrimp we had picked up. With the leftover barley I had in the refrigerator I knew exactly what salad was going to be dinner.
For me there’s nothing better than grilling outdoors when it comes Summer time. Dinners, lunches, parties with friends, there’s just something fun about cooking your food on an open flame. That smokey flavor, the special char one can only get when the food hits the hot grill and sears in the goodness.
This Shrimp Corn and Barley Salad gets a lot of it’s flavor from grilling on the BBQ. While I grilled most of the ingredients for this salad it’s not a prerequisite, I highly recommend it though. The corn gets bumped up in flavor, the shrimp gets slightly charred on the edges to make for one incredible corn and barley salad. But if grilling isn’t an option, simply cook the corn how you like to and pan sear the shrimp, 🙂
For those of you who don’t eat meat or shellfish, feel free to omit the shrimp, this is quite filling enough on it’s own. If shrimp is a favorite of yours like it is mine, try my Shrimp Posole Verde, or these Watermelon and Grilled Shrimp Skewers. Enjoy!
Shrimp Corn and Barley Salad
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves loosely packed, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup barley, cooked (See Note 1)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 4 ears of corn husked
- 4 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (See Note 2)
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice about 2 large limes
- Toast the walnuts in a small sauté pan over medium heat, tossing often, until golden brown and fragrant, 3 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop and set aside. Crumble the feta cheese, set aside. Chop the cilantro, set aside.
- Get your grill to 450°F. Rub corn with one tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, 4 minutes per side or so depending on size of corn ears, 12 minutes total. Transfer to a platter and let cool.
- In a bowl add the cleaned shrimp, one tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Drop the grill temperature to 400°F and grill one minute per side (See Note 2). Set aside. Do not over cook.
- Cut the kernels from corn cobs (See Note 3) and place in a large bowl. Add the walnuts, cooked barley, cheese, cilantro and shrimp to bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour over salad and toss to mix thoroughly.