This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spice up your next barbecue with this intensely flavorful sesame ginger bbq sauce. Savory and sweet with a spicy bite, this sauce is perfect as a glaze, marinade, dip, or stir-fry sauce. Bust out those ribs and get ready for a gingery-garlicky barbecue bonanza!
This ginger bbq sauce recipe is easy to make and bursting with flavor. It has all the sweet and tangy goodness of traditional barbecue sauce with a ginger-sesame-soy twist.
If you’ve been around for a while, you’re sure to know my love of making Homemade Sauces. Along with making DIY Spice Blends, there is no better way I know to feel like a master in the kitchen. Every time you master one of these recipes, you get the chance to improve everything else you create.
Table of Contents
Whether you are planning your next family barbecue or simply expanding your collection of Condiments, this ginger bbq sauce is one you don’t want to miss. It’s made with super-accessible ingredients and can be ready in under 30 minutes like my Master BBQ Sauce (Sweet Heat) and Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe.
- Oil – Choose a vegetable oil with a decent smoke point to saute the garlic and ginger.
- Garlic – Perks up the sauce with a pungent and peppery bite.
- Onion – Adds another layer of sweet pungency. I prefer yellow onions for this recipe but white or red will work too.
- Salt – If possible, choose kosher salt for its ability to enhance flavor without an excessive amount of saltiness.
- Ginger – This marvelous little root is warming and comforting while being fiery and invigorating. This spicy-sweet, earthy herb is the MVP of the recipe.
- Ketchup – Offers deep, savory tomato flavor with a tangy twist. If needed, you can substitute tomato paste with a bit of vinegar and sugar.
- Molasses – Smoky, earthy molasses sweetens as it deepens other sumptuous flavors.
- Rice Vinegar – Adds brightness and acidity. Apple cider vinegar is the best substitute.
- Brown Sugar – Adds a delicate, caramel flavor as it sweetens and harmonizes the flavor of the sauce.
- Dijon Mustard – Bring on the zing! Dijon mustard brings that unparalleled mustard twang with a horseradish bite. The best substitutes include spicy brown, horseradish, spicy English, or stone ground mustards.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Nothing compares to the deeply savory, sensationally salty flavor of Worcestershire sauce. It adds a complex flavor that is almost impossible to imitate. However, if you need a vegetarian option, try soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, or miso paste in its place.
- Sesame Oil – For the nuttiest, most intense flavor, look for toasted sesame oil. You’ll get the sweetest and smokiest results possible!
- Soy Sauce – Adds a potent dash of saltiness and sweetness along with a serious serving of umami flavor.
- Black Pepper – Intensifies the flavors of the sauce with a sharp, sassy punch of heat.
- Saute the Garlic & Onions. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. Once heated, add the ginger, garlic, and onions to the pan and saute for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the Other Ingredients. Stir in the molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, soy sauce, black pepper, and sesame oil.
- Simmer & Stir. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer, stirring frequently. Keep the saucepan uncovered and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Blend Until Smooth. Remove the pan from heat. Use an immersion blender to fully incorporate all the ingredients until smooth.
Share this recipe on Pinterest!
Love this recipe? Share it with the world on Pinterest.
This ginger bbq sauce is as versatile as it is delicious. You can use it as a glaze, marinade, dipping sauce, and all-around condiment. Sub it into any of your favorite bbq recipes. Here are just a few ideas of ways to incorporate this scrumptious sauce.
– Grilled Pork Tenderloin (Butterflied)
– Crispy Baked Chicken Wings (Master Recipe)
– Smoked Meatballs with BBQ Sauce
– Barbecue Pineapple Chicken
– Kansas City Style Ribs
This savory-sweet and spicy sauce is a flavor bomb of a combination. This ginger bbq sauce recipe features fresh ginger, garlic, and onions in a bath of ketchup, vinegar, soy, and Worcestershire sauce. Brown sugar and molasses sweeten the deal while black pepper adds some pep. Strap in!
Don’t leave your homemade bbq sauce at room temperature for longer than 1-2 hours. After that, it runs the risk of developing bacteria and spoiling.
To extend the life of your ginger bbq sauce, you should store it in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator. When chilled, your sauce will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.
Sesame Ginger BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion minced
- 4- inch piece fresh ginger sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, ginger and salt and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire, sesame oil and black pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring often, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.