My Scratch Made Chicken Divan is not your mother’s Chicken Divan. Nope, this is an updated, slimmed down version that still packs in the flavor. No canned soups, sour cream and half the butter of other versions. I made a new video to show you that dinner can be ready in 30 minutes!
Chicken Divan is a chicken casserole, typically made with broccoli, almonds, and Mornay sauce. With lofty intentions using a French name to add a bit of sophistication, this humble chicken casserole is an American classic.
I’m not using any canned condensed soup, or a cup of mayonnaise here and a cup of sour cream there. No Paula Dean salt and butter overload either, this is scaled down, lightened, and I think even better in flavor.
Where most recipes use potato chips crumbled on top, mine gets extra crunch appeal from Panko breadcrumbs.
I love the added flavor you pick up if you pan sear the broccoli prior to putting it in with the browned chicken pieces.
Levels of flavor going on in this dish and it doesn’t take that much time or effort.
The sauce it so darn good! Butter, shallots, flour and chicken stock get it going. Sherry, Worcestershire, half and half and Parmesan cheese finish it off.
This gets poured over the browned broccoli and chicken and a few minutes under the broiler to crisp up that cheese and Panko breadcrumbs for texture and you are ready to serve.
This Chicken Divan recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking January 2018 and has been updated with a new video.
Scratch Made Chicken Divan
- 2 lbs chicken breast chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp flour separated
- 2 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese plus 2 tbsp
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon zest only (optional)
- Slice chicken breast meat into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with 2 tablespoons flour and set aside.
- Over medium high heat in a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the broccoli slightly, cooking for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and cover. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the skillet and brown the chicken pieces over medium high heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in a 13x9" baking dish seasoned with cooking spray. Sprinkle broccoli on top of chicken.
- In same skillet add the butter and over medium heat sauté the shallot for a minute. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of flour in pan and stir to cook. Add the Worcestershire sauce, sherry, chicken stock and half and half. Stir and reduce for several minutes until thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese and pour over chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle Panko breadcrumbs and more cheese (optional) if you like on top. Broil for 3-5 minutes until top is golden brown and bubbly. Serve with grated lemon zest over top (optional).