This melt in your mouth Savory Slow Cooker Pot Roast that is so fall apart tender and has a gravy made from blending half of the cooked vegetables with the cooking marinade liquid.
When time is an issue the slow cooker always saves me. Coming home to the aroma of this always makes for a relief knowing a killer meal is minutes away.
So how was everyone’s Christmas? Did you survive all the food and libations? One more holiday coming up and then there is the New Year. Can you believe it?
All these questions Kevin, how about a recipe to make my Monday all better? Well here it is, my Savory Slow Cooker Pot Roast. It’s just the ticket when your hands are full with other holiday duties, the kids are home from school and in town family are visiting. A great way to enjoy the family fun and know that dinner is happening under that slow cooker lid.
I serve this with mashed potatoes or my Herb Roasted Poupon Potatoes. The gravy that gets made for this is amazing and I pour it over the pot roast, the potatoes and vegetables.
I personally like to brown the beef chuck roast before it goes into the slow cooker. That is completely optional, but I must say browned meat seals in the juices and gives a nice texture to the outside of this Savory Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
I also learned that by cooking the meat on a bed of the onion, celery and carrots I can use them to thicken the gravy, too. I end up taking the slow cooker pot roast out of the pan and scoop half of the vegetables and cooking liquid out and pulse it in my blender. Pour that thickened mixture back into the cooking liquid and you are good to go.
I often times interchange the fresh herbs in this and while my favorite is thyme, fresh rosemary, chopped and added at the end it incredible, too. Enjoy!
Savory Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 3 lb beef chuck pot roast boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped, 1/2 inch
- 2 celery stalks chopped, 1/2 inch
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon style mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme or rosemary chopped fine
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped for garnish
- If needed, cut roast to fit into a 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the onion, garlic, carrot and celery in the slow cooker. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and mix.
- Add olive oil to large skillet over medium heat and brown roast on all sides. (See Note 1)
- In a bowl whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, mustard, herbs, salt and pepper. Place roast on top of vegetables. Deglaze skillet with red wine (scraping up the bits of caramelized bits on bottom of pan) and pour wine and marinade liquid over roast.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and set aside, covered. Discard bay leaves. Scoop out half of the vegetables and 2 cups of cooking liquid and purée for 30 seconds in a blender.
- Slice or break up pot roast into pieces and place back in the slow cooker and pour sauce over meat and cover to stay warm or serve immediately with sauce on the side. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- If not browning the meat add the red wine to the next step and top vegetables with meat.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.