My new obsession is Sauce Verde. It’s not a pesto or tomatillo salsa, this flavor packed treat comes from Italy and is loaded with fresh herbs and spinach. You’re gonna want to make this again and again!
For today’s recipe I’d like to share with you a wonderful sauce. Sauce Verde is not a tomatillo green sauce or salsa, not a chimichurri, and it’s definitely not a pesto sauce. It’s an amazing Italian green sauce that has an incredible flavor punch.
Excellent as a dipping sauce or drizzled over grilled meat, Sauce Verde is one versatile Italian sauce.
With my recent move from San Diego, California up to the Portland, Oregon area, this easy to make sauce is great because all you need is a blender or food processor and some cooked pasta for a quick meal!
Add some Costco rotisserie chicken and you are good to feed the family.
Half my kitchen is still in boxes, so I’m pulling out all of my easy to make recipes this week. Also, the move is another reason I haven’t been able to share a new video.
Just wait though, new and improved videos are coming your way from the new kitchen soon!
What is in Sauce Verde?
Sauce Verde uses pureed fresh parsley, capers, lemon juice, olive oil and anchovies. Seasoned with kosher salt and red pepper flakes, too. I add spinach to the mix, that’s not traditional, but highly recommended. Get the greens in where you can! 🙂
It’s a little bit of everything really. Herbal flavor coming from the parsley, salty from the anchovies, bright and fresh flavors from the lemon with that perfect hit of acid to a hint of brine coming from the capers and richness from the olive oil.
What do you use sauce verde on?
- grilled steaks
Like I said, this is one versatile sauce.
Now as soon as I find the propane tank I can fire up the BBQ and grill us up some steaks to drizzle this sauce on as well. Enjoy!
- 4 cups spinach leaves 1 bunch
- 2 cups parsley leaves 1 bunch
- 1/4 cup capers
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste (or 3 anchovy fillets)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 oz penne pasta
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to a blender or food processor and purée. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a smooth sauce develops. Season to taste.
- Cook pasta per package directions and drain, reserving a 1/4 cup pasta water.
- In a large bowl toss the cooked pasta, entire batch of sauce verde and the pasta water. Season to taste and serve. Add shredded rotisserie chicken if desired.