My blondie recipe gets an update using tahini, a sesame seed paste. This adds a nutty richness and elevates the average blondie to a sophisticated and tasty dessert bar. These Salted Chocolate Chip Tahini Blondies are simply a must try! The sesame seed flavor is not there, just an umami flavor that leaves you wanting more.
Blondies are a rich, sweet dessert bar. They are one of my all-time favorites to make because they are so easy and satisfying,
Think of them as the lighter cousin of brownies. While they resemble the traditional chocolate brownie, blondies substitute vanilla for cocoa and contain brown sugar. Another favorite of mine.
To shake things up I decided to add some tahini to the mix. Typically used in hummus and other dishes, like in my marinade for my Tahini Marinated Grilled Chicken, tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds.
The seed paste, or nut butter, adds a richness to the blondie. I thought I’d substitute the butter for the tahini and after several tests and mishaps think I made the right balance of ingredients to make this a new favorite.
I kept the butter in, lowered the amount and adjusted my basic blondie recipe with more flour and the tahini. I skipped the cinnamon addition I often times add, too.
With a lot of dark chocolate chips and sea salt flakes added on top this is a killer dessert bar.
Great as a gift for the holidays, perfect for after school snacks or a dessert, these Salted Chocolate Chip Tahini Blondies are amazing. I think they’ll be a hit at your house, too.
For other blondie recipes, try my Marshmallow Butterscotch Blondies, Chocolate Malt Ball Blondies, Cinnamon Apple Caramel Blondie Bars, or these White Chocolate Caramel Blondies. Can you tell I love blondies? Enjoy!
Salted Chocolate Chip Tahini Blondies
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished blondies out.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the melted butter, tahini, brown sugar, and vanilla together until combined. Add egg and mix well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and stir together. Fold in the chocolate chips. The batter will be super thick. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan using a rubber spatula dipped in water if needed.
- Bake for 24 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cut into 16 squares when cooled.