These aren’t the kind of pop tarts you had as a kid. Nope, these are grown up Pineapple Ham and Cheese Hand Pies and these are definitely one tasty snack. Pair it with a salad and your lunch or dinner is done in minutes!
What to do with some of that left over Christmas ham this holiday season? I got your back! These Pineapple Ham and Cheese Hand Pies are made with just 5 ingredients, will put a smile on your face as well as make for one tasty lunch or dinner.
Who can resist puff pastry with a spread of dijon mustard, some cubed and caramelized ham and cheddar cheese? The kicker, surprise ingredient to set it off is my pineapple puree I had left over from my Potato Latkes with Pineapple Sauce and Greek Yogurt. It gives these that extra punch of flavor.
These needed that certain something to put them over the top, and I decided to use pineapple puree. It can be made in 10 minutes!
In a food processor, blender or Vitamix puree the pineapple chunks. Over medium heat cook pineapple puree with brown sugar for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken. That’s it, and the flavor punch it give these Pineapple Ham and Cheese Hand Pies is surprising with just enough tart to offset the rich and caramelized ham and sharp cheese.
Plus, who can resist a tasty hand held snack made with puff pastry? Not me, enjoy and have a Merry Christmas everyone!
For other tasty puff pastry recipes check out my Maple Pancetta Cheddar Cheese Tart, Pesto Pine Nut Cheese Sticks or my Easy Tangelo Ricotta and Blueberry Puffs, or just search “puff pastry” in the Search bar.
Pineapple Ham and Cheese Hand Pies are perfect to use leftover holiday ham. With dijon mustard, cheese and a pineapple puree all wrapped in puff pastry,
- 2 sheets of puff pastry thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups ham cubed
- 6 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 12 tsp pineapple puree see below
- 1 egg
- Pineapple Puree
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a fry pan sear and brown the ham in oil. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. In a small bowl whisk egg, set aside.
- On a floured surface roll puff pastry dough to smooth any creases. With a sharp knife cut into 6 rectangles and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon Silpat baking sheet.
- Brush each with 1 tablespoon of the mustard, 1/2 cup ham, 1/4 cup cheese and 2 teaspoons of the pineapple puree.
- Roll out other puff pastry dough to smooth any creases. With a sharp knife cut into 6 rectangles. Place one each on top of ham/pineapple puree and seal edges with fork. Prick the top with fork tines to vent and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pineapple Puree: In a food processor, blender or Vitamix puree pineapple chunks. Over medium heat cook pineapple puree with brown sugar for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken. Stir often. Set aside to cool.