This is a real quick way to get that something extra on your dinner plate without the hard work. The fresh, snap and crunch of the cucumber paired with the tamed, thin sliced red onions, basil and twang of the red wine vinegar hits the spot for fresh side.
Pickled Persian Cucumber & Red Onions
- 8 Persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil
- red wine vinegar
- red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse and slice the cucumbers and put in a bowl.
- Slice the red onions very thin. If using right away place in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes to take the pungent onion flavor out. Discard water after. If making ahead for a next day meal you can skip this step. Add to bowl.
- Crush and chop the garlic, chop the basil, add the red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper
- Mix well and let marinate for 20-30 minutes while you cook dinner.