The thing to remember with any succulent grilled meat is that it has been marinated and grilled properly. Be aware not to over cook these and you are good. An overnight marinade in grated onion and some amazing spices like sumac, and saffron with yogurt does this right. The color turns the meat a golden color and the smell is amazing. With a nice side of haricot vert and carrots mixed with feta cheese you have a filling meal.
Haricot vert is French for green beans. Haricot meaning beans and vert meaning green. French green beans are longer and thinner than most American varieties. They are also more tender and have a more complex flavor. You can find these bagged in most supermarkets now.
If taking the time to make overnight and grating, yes grating the onion, is too much for you I have a quick and easy way to do this recipe. One of my favorite stores is the Balboa International Market found in the Balboa and Genesee area of Clairemont. The meat can be purchased already marinated, or you can buy the spices already premixed by Sadaaf. The Persian Chick Kabob Spice mix is perfect. Check out all the other items they have and the takeaway is always great.
This works best if the chicken has been marinated overnight. Flip the chicken over occasionally in the zip lock bag to distribute seasoning mixture.
- Chicken Marinade
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, strips or thigh meat
- 1½ cups of plain yogurt
- 1 onion
- 2 ground cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp saffron
- ½ tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable Side
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 small bag of haricot vert
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Over a bowl, grate a onion completely. This will get juicy! When complete, gather grated onion in hands and squeeze excess water out. Place in another mixing bowl and discard onion water or save for a soup base.
- In the onion bowl mix add the yogurt, spices, parsley, garlic. Mix thoroughly to incorporate completely.
- Place all in a zip lock plastic bag and refrigerate over night.
- Grill to your liking and serve with steamed vegetables. In this meal I steamed some haricot vert with carrots. Then while hot, mixed in a bowl with some olive oil, ½ cup feta cheese and salt and freshly ground black pepper.