I love the flavors of Asian cooking. The nuances and subtle tickles on the tongue, the balance of sweet and sour, salty to peppered all engage the senses. If it’s not the visual in its the presentation, it’s the aroma that makes one interested, questioning “what is that? I know that smell.” I love the that meat is used as an ingredient, not the focal point and vegetables are first and foremost.
In this recipe I keep it simple, utilizing Kikkoman’s Teriyaki Marinade to start the beef marinating. I usually think of this dish and then plan on eating it the next day to allow the beef to marinate overnight. If I have my teriyaki sauce in the refrigerator I use that, but this one hits the mark. By prepping all your ingredients and having them ready makes for quick cooking.
Pepper Beef Stir Fry
- 1 lb beef top sirloin steak
- 1/2 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 green and red bell pepper each
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup jalapeños
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp black bean paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- I usually buy the top sirloin steak that has been cut by the butcher in thin strips for stir fry, but if you don't have that, cut beef in thin strips against the grain and then chop into bite size pieces. Place in a container or Zip Lock bag and pour 1 tbsp of the oil and teriyaki sauce over beef and mix. Refrigerate over night.
- Chop the onion in half and each half into 1/2 inch slices and then break apart the ring halves to separate.
- Chop the bell peppers into medium julienne. Julienne cut is when the food item is cut into long thin strips, similar to matchsticks.
- Chop the jalapeños into a small dice and add to onions and peppers in a bowl, set aside.
- In a bowl mix the beef stock, black bean paste, crushed and chopped garlic, the fresh ginger, soy sauce and cornstarch.
- Get your wok heated on high for several minutes so it's smoking hot. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil and your drained beef to the wok and quickly cook to sizzling effect for several minutes.
- Next add the vegetables and jalapeños and toss to incorporate quickly. After 2 minutes add the sauce mixture and quickly stir fry, mixing to coat the beef and vegetables completely. After 2 minutes remove from wok and serve.
- Top with chopped cilantro for garnish if you like - optional.