I wanted a fresh, light salad to offset the Crunchy Parmesan Cod I was planning for dinner and thought about cabbage as a change instead of the usual mixed salad greens. I am not a fan of big mayonnaise and thought that a fruit and yogurt dressing would add the right touch. Add some Craisins instead of the usual raisin and some toasted pecans and walnuts to round it out, but you could use any nuts like pepitas or sunflower too.
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1 Gala apple peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans and walnuts each
- 1/4 cup Craisins dried cranberries
- 1 small peach yogurt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a frying pan toast the pecans and walnuts until lightly brown, making sure not to burn. Let cool and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the shredded cabbages, carrot and apples. Next add the Craisins and toasted nuts to the salad mixture, mix thoroughly.
- In a small mixing bowl and using a whisk, mix together the yogurt, vinegar and tarragon. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and mix thoroughly to incorporate completely and keep cold for 20 minutes. Serve chilled.