Nothing quite satisfies like a little dessert after a meal, and if it’s summer, then it’s time for some Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp. Bing cherries covered in a simple flour, sugar, oat and egg crumble that gets melted butter poured on top and baked to a golden brown.
With the bounty of fresh fruit like cherries, nectarines, peaches and others making their way to market, Summer picnics, BBQs and family gatherings will be sharing watermelon, fruit salads and desserts like this Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp.
Using my gramma’s recipe for Apple Crisp, I substitute cherries instead of apples and add some oats in the crumble topping.
This is beyond easy to make and always hits the spot.
Feel free to serve it with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream, too.
This is fantastic the next day for breakfast too if there is any leftover. Live a little!
For other desserts, try my Strawberry Peach Shortcake, Baked Hasselback Apples, Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler, No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups or if you need a hit of chocolate try these Caramel No Bake Chocolate Cookie Bars. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 32 oz cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Remove pits from fresh cherries or thaw frozen cherries. Place in a greased 13"x9" baking pan or stone.
In a mixing bowl beat the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, egg and vanilla until it becomes a crumbled mixture.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the cherries, not covering completely, leaving breathing pocket here and there.
- Melt the butter, drizzle over the top and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with scoop of ice cream or whipped cream (optional).