This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Caramel No Bake Chocolate Cookie Bars are, simply put, out of this world, crazy good. Yes, that was a mouthful in itself just to say.
Holy smokes this one is a killer dessert. Be prepared for an over-the-top, wow-the-crowd, flavor, texture, nirvana sensation people. Oh, and it has a cookie base, malt balls, caramel and is no-bake, too.
These are not for the faint of heart either. I didn’t even finish one at the size I cut them, I just had half and was supremely satisfied and happy. Now that’s saying something!
Recently I’ve had inquiries and asks for “more desserts, baked or not please” time and time again. OK, so every now and then I’ll post a new dessert for you to try!
So here’s one for you, that when I saw a picture of it, knew I just had to try. I’ve adapted it myself, but the credit for this beauty goes to Melissa over at the Whimsical Wife.
Talk about rich! I think when I make these again it would be in a 13×9″ rectangle pan instead of the 9×9″ to spread them out a bit more.
These are stacks of decadent, amazing caramel, chocolate goodness. The killer are the malt balls with the wonderful crunch appeal, matched with the soft chocolate truffle and gooey caramel all sitting atop of wonderful cookie crust. Be prepared and make these bite-sized, they are over the top delicious. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking in November 2015 and has been updated with a video.
Caramel No Bake Chocolate Cookie Bars
- Cookie Base:
- 8 oz Nilla cookies
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 9 tbsp butter , melted
- Dark Chocolate Truffle Filling:
- 8 oz 80% dark chocolate , chopped
- 10 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 oz malt balls , roughly chopped
- Salted Caramel Filling:
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2/3 heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- Milk Chocolate Topping:
- 8 oz milk chocolate chips , melted
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- To Garnish
- 32 Malt balls
- Line a 9x9” baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pulse the Nilla cookies and walnuts in a food processor until crumbled, about 30-40 seconds. Pour in the melted butter and pulse for a further 10-20 seconds until the mixture comes together. Press the cookie mixture to cover the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes to firm up.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the dark chocolate and cream and heat at 30 second pulses until melted. Stir together until the mixture is combined. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to cool. Once the mixture has cooled, but not hardened, add in the chopped malt balls and stir to combine.
- Take the cookie base out of the fridge and pour the truffle filling on top, gently spreading the mixture evenly over the cookie base. Place back into the fridge for a further 20-30 minutes for the truffle filling to set.
- In a small saucepan add the condensed milk, cream, corn syrup, vanilla and sea salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower to a simmer and let it gently bubble for 15-20 minutes (a little longer if you like a darker caramel), stirring often so it doesn't burn. Set it aside to cool for 5 minutes before pouring over the dark chocolate truffle layer. Gently smooth the caramel with a spatula over the fudge layer and place back into the fridge for another 15 minutes to cool and firm up.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour over the melted milk chocolate over the top of the salted caramel. Quickly spread the milk chocolate evenly over the top of the caramel with a spatula. Quickly press the malt balls into the milk chocolate leaving a little sticking out of the top as garnish for each square. This should make 16 squares. Place back into the fridge and let it chill and firm up for 1 to 2 hours before cutting.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.