Pizza is a favorite of mine and these individual appetizer snacks are perfect, with a nice bite from the green chilies.
This is a recipe I got after my mom passed away. My dad asked if there was anything I wanted and I went through her collection of hand written recipes. I believe this one was handed down to her from my great aunt. It holds dear memories for me as I remember she would always make these as appetizers for the entire family’s traditional Christmas dinner at our house.
They are really easy to make ahead or freeze for later and bake for that impromptu dinner party. After I spread the pizza topping on the slices of french bread I slide the entire tray in the freezer. After several hours I take out and place in Ziploc bags and draw the air out, seal and freeze.
- 1 small can Ortega Green Chilies
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 4 green onions
- 1 can chopped black olives
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz of chopped good, dry salami
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 loaf of long thin sourdough bread
- Chop first three ingredients very fine. In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients and the chopped chilies, garlic and green onions and mix well.
- Slice the bread thin and get about 40-48 pieces total.
- Spread the pizza mixture evenly over all pieces and place on a cookie sheet. At this point you could freeze for later use and store in a Ziploc Freezer bag or bake for 8 minutes and serve crispy and hot!