Pizza is a favorite of mine and these individual appetizer snacks are perfect, with a nice bite from the green chilies.
This is a recipe I got after my mom passed away. My dad asked if there was anything I wanted and I went through her collection of hand written recipes. I believe this one was handed down to her from my great aunt. It holds dear memories for me as I remember she would always make these as appetizers for the entire family’s traditional Christmas dinner at our house.
They are really easy to make ahead or freeze for later and bake for that impromptu dinner party. After I spread the pizza topping on the slices of french bread I slide the entire tray in the freezer. After several hours I take out and place in Ziploc bags and draw the air out, seal and freeze.
Mini Pizza Bites
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz tomato sauce (or passata/puree)
- 4 oz green chilies (Hatch or Ortega)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 green onions chopped fine
- 2¼ oz black olives sliced
- 4 oz dry salami chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 sourdough baguettes thinly sliced
- In a bowl add the ingredients and mix well.
- Slice the bread thin and get about 40-48 pieces total. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spread the pizza mixture evenly over all pieces and place on a lined sheet (See Note 1). Bake for 8 minutes and serve crispy and hot!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.