I use cornmeal to add a little crunch to the chicken fried steak when breading it, and with the lemon herb sauce it’s a great combination when paired with the cheesy goodness of a rich polenta. I sometimes just use the lemon juice to deglaze the pan for a light glaze or you can make a gravy, both at noted below. A side dish of a fresh salad or steamed vegetable makes for a nice meal.
I have found that just cooking the polenta without adding the cheeses, cream and nutmeg, is a great breakfast too. Pour the polenta into a greased 8″x8″ pan. Place this is the refrigerator to firm. The next morning cut into squares, pan fry in some butter and drizzle with maple syrup, delicious! Check out my Breakfast Polenta Cakes here!
Lemon Chicken Fried Steak
- 2 breakfast steaks sirloin, tenderized
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the steaks on each side with flour mixture. Press this breading firmly into the steaks.
- Over medium heat in a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp of the butter and the oil and melt. Fry each steak on one side until crisp and flip to fry the other, several minutes each side until cooked through. Remove from pan, place on a platter and keep in a warmed oven.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour to the frying pan and add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Add the beef stock and stir quickly to incorporate into a thick sauce. Add the lemon juice and Italian seasoning and let simmer on low for 2-3 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut the steaks lengthwise into several pieces and drizzle with lemon glaze sauce. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or polenta.