Get a taste of Miami Beach from your kitchen! Using only six ingredients, these Key Lime Bars have a puckery curd, not a cream cheese filling, layered on a tender graham cracker crust for that refreshing, summer dessert!
I made quite a few recipes before the big move up to Portland and this was one of them. These Key Lime Bars were a little something I had out for the movers to help ease the pain of all those heavy boxes. Plus, the solar powered air conditioner didn’t hurt either!
Truth be told I made 3 separate batches of these to get it right and one actually hit the floor because my pot holder had a hole in it and my finger touched the bottom of the hot baking pan. No bueno. What a hot sticky mess that was to clean up. 🙂
Key Lime Bars
A delicious twist to the usual Lemon Bars, These use a buttery, graham cracker crust and are so good.
While the Key Lime Pie is a favorite, these handheld bars are a fun treat and change. No fork or plate needed… unless you prefer of course!
I like to top mine off with powdered sugar to counter that tart flavor and a good dollop of whipped cream never hurt, right?
What’s a Key Lime?
The Key Lime gets picked while it is still green and becomes yellow when ripe. Somewhat like the Mexican lime tree I have in my backyard. These are smaller with more seeds, stronger aroma, and a thinner rind, than that of the Persian lime usually found at most markets.
Key Lime Bars
If you’d like to make a smaller batch, no problem!
For 9×9 Square Pan: Same oven temperature. Cut each of the ingredients in half to make 12 bars in a 9×9-inch baking pan. Bake the bars for 20 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles.
A Tip for Cutting
I run my pizza cutter under hot water and wipe it clean, then a few quick rolls in each direction and the cuts are made no problem. The rolling blade doesn’t seem to stick as much as opposed to using a knife. Just have a purposeful, one motion slicing movement. 🙂
I typically slice this into 18 bars, but feel free to make them smaller if you prefer. Enjoy!
Other Summertime Desserts
- Shortbread Lemon Bars
These Shortbread Lemon Bars are super easy to make and will be gone in no time. With a buttery shortbread crust and puckery, sweet lemon curd, these are a great way to use up some of Summer’s citrus.
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups
These are made with crushed graham crackers, cream cheese and Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. They’re perfect for kid’s parties, the next office potluck or when that sweet tooth impulse strikes.
- Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp
Nothing quite satisfies like a little dessert after a meal, and if it’s summer, then it’s time for some Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp. Bing cherries covered in a simple flour, sugar, oat and egg crumble that gets melted butter poured on top and baked to a golden brown.
- No Bake Peach Cheesecake Bars
Fresh peaches top these amazingly fluffy No Bake Peach Cheesecake Bars that are made with a ground oat and graham cracker base. No baking required!
- Cuban Mojito Shortbread Bars
These mojito shortbread bars get a Latin flavor with a mojito inspired custard of eggs, condensed milk, lime juice and fresh mint with a little rum!
Key Lime Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (2 packets, 16 sheets)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup key lime juice
- Dust with powdered sugar optional
- 1 lime zest only
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 13x9 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift out. Set aside.
- In a food processor, Vitamix (my go to way) or bag, add graham crackers and process until crumb form. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar for a minute until fluffy. Add the flour, graham cracker crumb and salt. Mix until combined.
- Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake for 20 minutes while preparing lime filling.
- To the mixing bowl add the sugar, flour, eggs and key lime juice and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Pour lime filling over baked crust. Bake for additional 30 minutes or until center no longer jiggles.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. I refrigerate another 30 minutes before slicing (optional). Dust top of bars with powdered sugar and lime zest (optionaand slice into 24 bars.