This Honey Sesame Baked Chicken starts with a savory marinade made with on hand ingredients and gets sticky sweet when basted with a mixture of soy sauce, honey and sesame oil. Your family will love this one!
Honey Sesame Baked Chicken
The other night I was in the mood for finger licking, sticky sweet and spicy chicken. I was thinking of holding a drumstick in my hand, biting into a sticky and crunchy glazed piece of chicken so tender and bursting with flavor I decided to marinate the chicken I had in the refrigerator right then and there. Tomorrow we would have Honey Sesame Baked Chicken!
What’s in the marinade?
So, in a small bowl I whisked together a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, Chinese Five Spice and fresh ground ginger.
I love fresh ground ginger and get mine from Asian markets in large jars. You could easily substitute dry ground ginger, but by half.
I rinsed and patted the chicken legs and thighs. Then placed them in a container with the marinade, covered them and let them marinate overnight.
Taking the time to marinate and continuously baste whatever meat you choose to grill or bake makes it all worthwhile.
It’s the continuous coating and baking with the glaze, where the flavors from the spices all add the extra touch. Especially when honey is introduced, the glaze gets thick, sticky and crunchy over time.
The smokey flavors from the grill are fantastic, but when you find out you forgot to refill the gas tank for your grill, you realize baking them in the oven is just as good!
In a small bowl whisk together the honey, soy sauce and both oils.
The sesame oil makes this. Arrange chicken in baking dish and take a pastry brush and baste with honey mixture.
Place the chicken in the oven for 40 minutes, basting a couple of times during roasting. The chicken will get sticky and tender.
Remove them when they are golden brown and fully cooked through. I do one last basting of honey glaze and sprinkle on sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
- Curry, Five Spice Dry Rubbed Pork Ribs
- Lemon Basil Shrimp Soup
- Broiled Salmon with Honey Sesame Glaze
- Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs
This ended up being so good. The sweet and sticky glazed chicken were perfect, each bite revealed tender juicy chicken. Enjoy!
This Honey Sesame Baked Chicken was first seen on Kevin Is Cooking June 2015 and has been updated with new photos and video.
Honey Sesame Baked Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce separated
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tbsp ginger paste (ground fresh ginger)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- cilantro leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line 13x9” baking dish or sheet pan with foil or use a baking stone. Lightly coat with cooking spray or oil.
- In a small bowl whisk together a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, sherry, fresh ginger paste, brown sugar and Chinese Five Spice. Set aside.
- Place chicken in a container that can be covered or a Ziploc bag with the marinade. Allow to marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, honey and both oils. Set aside.
- Arrange chicken in baking dish or on sheet pan and take a pastry brush and baste with honey mixture.
- Place the chicken in the oven for 40 minutes, basting a couple of times during roasting (every 10 minutes, optional). The chicken will get sticky and tender. Remove them when golden brown and fully cooked through (internal temp of 165°F).
- Serve topped with any left over glaze, or pan juices from baking pan, sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.