This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Calling all shrimp lovers! These shrimp tacos are going to rock your world. Featuring succulent shrimp with chopped chipotle peppers in a spicy-sweet, smoky adobo sauce, this recipe is an absolute flavor explosion.
Summertime is quickly approaching and I can’t help but dream of my favorite seaside dishes. Today’s recipe for honey chipotle shrimp tacos couldn’t be more perfect! This dish is made with fabulously fresh ingredients and comes together in a matter of minutes.
Table of Contents
Each shrimp taco is deeply flavorful and satisfying without weighing you down. Freshly chopped cabbage and pickled onions add a crunchy texture, while the Mexican crema adds just the perfect hint of tangy richness. The combination of flavors and textures is out-of-this-world delicious!
- Shrimp – Large, fresh shrimp are the best option. You can use frozen shrimp if needed, just be sure they are thawed, peeled, and deveined.
- Chipotle – These dried jalapeno peppers are smoky and sweet with medium spiciness.
- Adobo Sauce – Find this earthy, smoky-sweet sauce in the international foods aisle, or make my homemade version.
- Honey – Adds just the right touch of natural sweetness to accentuate and harmonize the heavier flavors of the shrimp tacos.
- Lime – Offers a welcome splash of bright acidity and sour citrus flavor.
- Red Onion – Adds mild pepperiness with a touch of sweetness.
- Vinegar – Red wine vinegar adds a blast of bright acidity. Good substitutes include apple cider or white wine vinegar.
- Cabbage – Adds freshness and a lovely cruciferous crunch. Green cabbage or red cabbage will work just as well.
- Tortillas – Choose corn tortillas for the most authentic shrimp taco taste. Flour tortillas will be a bit softer and are a great stand-in if needed.
- Mexican Crema – This tangy, buttermilk-based sauce adds richness and creamy brightness to the tacos.
- Cilantro – Elevates the tacos with its uniquely fresh, slightly spicy, and slightly citrusy flavor profile plus a dazzling dash of green color.
- Season the Shrimp. Combine the cleaned shrimp, adobo sauce, diced chipotle peppers, honey, and the juice from one lime together in a bowl. Toss well to coat the shrimp and set aside.
- 2. Prepare the Vegetables. Slice the red onion thinly and place it in a small bowl with the red wine vinegar. Massage the onions with vinegar and set aside. Thinly slice and shred the green cabbage until you have around 2 cups total.
- 3. Heat the Tortillas. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Warm the tortillas on both sides until you see a slight char. (If desired, you can do this step over an open flame.) Cover the heated tortillas with a towel to keep them warm.
- 4. Cook the Shrimp. Keep the same skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Wait one minute, then add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp quickly, about one minute per side. Remove the pan from heat.
- 5. Assemble Tacos. Add shrimp, cabbage, a few pickled onions, a tablespoon of Mexican crema, and cilantro leaves to each tortilla. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!
What Pairs Well With Shrimp Tacos?
This bright, flavorful shrimp taco recipe pairs beautifully with a number of side dishes. Here are just a few favorites for inspiration:
- Serve shrimp tacos with Arroz Rojo (Mexican Red Rice), Cilantro Lime Rice, or any of your favorite rice dishes.
- Enjoy them alongside tortillas chips and your favorite salsas like Classic Fire Roasted Salsa, Roasted Salsa Verde, or Fresh Peach Salsa.
- Pair this chipotle shrimp taco recipe with this Authentic Guacamole Recipe, Classic Refried Beans, or Queso Blanco Cheese Dip for a full Mexican restaurant experience.
- Try a freshly chopped vegetable salad like this Spicy Cilantro Lime Slaw for added crunch and a blast of flavor.
- For a refreshing and satisfying lunch, combine shrimp tacos with a garden salad like this hearty Thunderbird Salad.
Shrimp Taco Recipe Variations
One of the best things about any taco recipe is its versatility. Feel free to customize this already dynamite recipe to suit your tastes, preferences, or available ingredients. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Turn up the spice with some chopped jalapenos, chilis, or other peppers.
- Make it vegan by switching the Mexican crema for a plant-based Avocado Salsa or Guacamole Recipe.
- Add a handful of cheddar, queso fresco, or cotija cheese.
- Use flour tortillas for a softer, burrito-style recipe.
- Switch up the seasoning on your shrimp with some Sazon, Tajin, or Creole Seasoning.
- Try your taco with another type of seafood like mahi mahi, cod, tilapia, or salmon.
How Long Do Shrimp Tacos Last?
Store any leftover shrimp in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. Leftover tortillas can be stored in a Ziploc bag, at room temperature, for about the same amount of time.
In general, I don’t recommend freezing shrimp tacos. This recipe is so quick and easy to make, and the main ingredients (shrimp and tortillas) are best when freshly cooked.
Honey Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
- Toss the cleaned shrimp with the diced chipotle, adobo sauce, honey and the juice from 1 lime.
- Thinly slice the red onion and massage with red wine vinegar in small bowl, set aside. Thinly shred the green cabbage, you’ll need at least 2 cups total.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat (or use an open flame) and warm the tortillas on both sides until they start to slightly char. Cover with a towel to keep warm.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat add the oil. After a minute add the shrimp and quickly cook, 1 minute per side. Remove from heat and assemble tacos.
- Divided on each tortilla, add cabbage, shrimp, a tablespoon of Mexican crema, a few quick-pickled red onion and cilantro leaves. Serve with remaining 2 limes, quartered.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.