Honestly, if you haven’t had Fresh Cranberry Sauce you are missing out. Definitely worth making instead of that jelled, dark lump that comes from the can. I make this Fresh Cranberry Sauce with Cherry several times a year – it doesn’t just have to be for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! It’s great over cottage cheese or yogurt for breakfast, too.
You don’t even have to cook a thing! Process fresh cranberries with orange segments, diced celery, nuts, and just boil some water for the cherry Jello. This Fresh Cranberry Sauce with Cherry makes a fresh and delicious condiment for the table.
The holidays of feasting are here and I for one enjoy cranberry relish, homemade cranberry relish. I love this spread on sandwiches or burgers like my Turkey Burger, or for breakfast, with cottage cheese and nuts. This fresh and crunchy, tart and tangy cranberry relish has a secret flavor weapon and it’s name is cherry. That’s right, cherry jello, and with the crunch coming from the diced celery, warm nutty flavors of pecans and walnuts, this is one fantastic addition to your holiday dinner table.
The great thing is you can have cranberries year round, simply stock up and freeze a bag or ten like I do.
This Fresh Cranberry Sauce with Cherry isn’t your average, straight from the can, jellied spread. Nope, this is more like a homemade fresh cranberry relish, but it’s not pickled! This has an amazing mix of flavors and textures.
I find that orange zest added a nice clean pop of flavor, too and when the fresh cranberries are pulsed in the food processor the orange segments go in too. The nuts get chopped up as well and then I dice celery into small bits for crunch appeal. It can’t be all one texture note, this is a winner at our house.
Not only are cranberries good for you, but with the nuts this doesn’t have to get relegated to just a condiment. It tastes fantastic on a scoop or two of cottage cheese, on top of oatmeal and spread on toast for a light snack. The flavor combination of the cranberry and cherry is too good and I hope you give this a try.
My homemade Fresh Cranberry Sauce with Cherry starts with fresh cranberries, orange, celery, pecans and walnuts. The secret flavor weapon is cherry jello.
Prep time includes 3 hours refrigeration time to set jello.
- 6 oz package of Cherry Jello
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 medium orange use both zest and segments
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 stalks of celery diced small
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Dissolve jello in hot water, right in the pan. I use a glass 8" x 8", and stir completely until clear.
- Grind the cranberries and orange segments along with the sugar in a food processor. Keep in mind this can be left chunky, but small. Do not over process until smooth!
- In a mixing bowl, pour the cranberry orange mixture in and combine with the nuts, grated orange zest and sliced celery. Toss well to combine and pour mixture into jello pan and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator to set. I stir the firm jello to mix it up before serving.