Cranberry relish with Jello is tangy and sweet, and so simple to prepare with fresh cranberries! Make this recipe for any holiday gathering.
The holidays of feasting are here and I for one enjoy cranberry relish, homemade cranberry relish. I love this spread on sandwiches or for breakfast, with cottage cheese a sprinkle of nuts.
It’s fresh and crunchy, tart and tangy. I use a secret flavor weapon and it’s name is cherry Jello. That’s right, cranberry relish with Jello!
With the crunch coming from the diced celery, warm nutty flavors of pecans and walnuts, this is one fantastic addition to your holiday dinner table.
Honestly, if you haven’t had fresh cranberry sauce or cranberry relish, you are missing out. Definitely worth making instead of that jelled, dark lump that comes from the can.
I make this relish recipe several times a year – it doesn’t just have to be for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner! It’s great over cottage cheese or yogurt for breakfast, too.
You don’t even have to cook the cranberries!
Making Cranberry Relish with Jello
Process fresh cranberries with orange segments, diced celery, nuts, and just boil some water for the cherry Jello. This recipe makes a fresh and delicious condiment that you can use any time of the year.
TIP: Buy fresh cranberries in bulk and freeze them. Then you can use them to make delicious treats any time of year. Buy bag or ten, like I do.
I find that orange zest added a nice clean pop of flavor, too and when the fresh cranberries are pulsed in the food processor the orange segments go in too. The nuts get chopped up as well and then I dice celery into small bits for crunch appeal. It can’t be all one texture note, this is a winner at our house.
Other Uses for Fresh Cranberries
Not only are cranberries good for you, but with the nuts this doesn’t have to get relegated to being just a condiment. Fresh cranberry relish tastes fantastic on a scoop or two of cottage cheese, on top of oatmeal and spread on toast for a light snack. The flavor combination of the cranberry and cherry is too good and I hope you give this a try.
Cherry Cranberry Relish with Jello
- 6 oz package of Cherry Jello
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 medium orange use both zest and segments
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 stalks of celery diced small
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Dissolve jello in hot water, right in the pan. I use a glass 8″ x 8″, and stir completely until clear.
- Grind the cranberries and orange segments along with the sugar in a food processor. Keep in mind this can be left chunky, but small. Do not over process until smooth!
- In a mixing bowl, pour the cranberry orange mixture in and combine with the nuts, grated orange zest and sliced celery. Toss well to combine and pour mixture into jello pan and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator to set. I stir the firm jello to mix it up before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.