A combination of ground turkey and pork is my favorite and with a little maple syrup, fresh herbs and spices, you can have Homemade Breakfast Sausage in mere minutes.
I’ve been tinkering around with this recipe for a while now and think it’s time to share what I think is a fantastic and super easy to make homemade breakfast sausage.
I used to just use ground pork and felt it needed a little lightening up and found ground turkey to be a great way to do this. With real maple syrup to kiss the sausage with a tad bit of sweetness, red pepper flakes to offset with a little heat, and fresh herbs to bring it all together. This is a winner.
I like to make about 12 patties with this recipe and usually will end up cooking 4 right off the bat and place the other 8 on a sheet of wax paper and freeze them straight on the tray. After they’re partially frozen I place them all in a plastic freezer bag for future breakfast use.
Feel free to cook it all up at once or mix up with onions and potatoes to feed a crowd.
Whether you like your breakfast sausage in patty form to brown in a hot skillet, or break it up and mix with your eggs in a scramble, or even better yet, made into breakfast sausage sandwiches, this will do the trick.
The other day before we went hiking I cooked up four of the homemade breakfast sausage patties and toasted up some English muffins. A few slices of cheddar cheese to melt on top and we were out the door, breakfast in hand. So easy.
For other breakfast recipes, try my Crustless Spinach Quiche with Ham or these Cheesy Bacon Buttermilk Biscuits. If maple is a favorite flavor of yours, try my Maple Glazed Apple Oatmeal Cookies or another sausage favorite is my Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash. Enjoy!
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix by hand until well blended.
- Shape into 12-16 patties.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and add some oil to pan. Cook sausage patties 2-3 minutes per side depending on thickness. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover. Cook 1 minute more to steam.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and freeze for future use. (See Note 1)