Family get togethers are always fun with my in-laws and I mean that in the best way. They are something I look forward to dearly. My mother-in-law, Shirley, has always been a great source of creative recipes for me throughout the years. With so many people, meals and Costco trips are all planned and executed with precision. There is never a dull moment with so many people, especially when we all gather at the family ranch in Rancho San Lucas in the Salinas Valley.
In my Dave’s family he has a twin sister and two older brothers. All of us have marriages over 32+ years, we all enjoy each other’s company and travel together quite often. In this recipe, Holiday Morning French Toast, it is another example of everyone pitching in and helping, each designated a part in the culinary play and we all get to enjoy the production.
This needs to be made ahead and refrigerated 24 hours.
Holiday Morning French Toast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 tsp cinnamon divided
- 3 tart apples peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 loaf of french bread cut 1" slices
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter and 1 tsp of cinnamon in a 13x9" baking dish. Make sure to spread the mixture over the entire bottom of the pan.
- Layer sliced apples and cranberries on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- Arrange slices of bread on top.
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon until well blended. Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Bake covered with foil at 375° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.