This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ground pork tacos piled high with your favorite taco toppings are a family favorite! Make this 30 minute recipe for an easy dinner tonight.
Making ground pork tacos takes almost no time at all, and the recipe is unbelievably easy!
Really, it’s just a matter of combining the ingredients together in a pan, and then warming up the tortilla shells.
In fact, the most difficult part of this recipe is deciding what to top your tacos with! Fill your tortillas with the meat filling first. Then, add your favorite toppings for a fantastic, quick meal. It’s the perfect solution after a long day.
Ingredients for Ground Pork Tacos
Most of these ingredients are basic pantry staples. You may even have most of them already in your kitchen.
- ground pork
- vegetable oil
- diced onion
- minced garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- taco seasoning
- brown sugar
- tomato paste
- orange juice
- corn tortillas
One thing that makes tacos such a great family meal is how customizable they are. Everyone can top their tacos with their favorite toppings. Here are some popular taco toppings that you may want to try:
- sour cream
- avocado crema
- homemade guacamole
- pico de gallo or mango pico de gallo
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- pickled red onions
- shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
- classic fire roasted salsa or roasted salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
Video: making ground pork tacos
To see the process of making this recipe from start to finish, watch the video! You can find it in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Sauté onions for a few minutes before adding the garlic. Cook for several minutes and season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the taco seasoning (here’s my taco seasoning blend), brown sugar and tomato paste and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ground pork, water and orange juice. Break up the meat with the spoon and reduce. Season to taste.
- To make the taco shells, char the soft corn tortillas on both sides.
- Fill each tortilla shell with the pork filling, pico de gallo or salsa verde, lettuce and pickled onions.
- Top with your favorite garnishes and toppings.
How to tell when ground pork is cooked
To prevent the risk of food poisoning, it’s very important to properly cook ground pork. It usually take a full five minutes to completely cook through.
When it’s cooked properly and completely, the meat should be completely brown, with no pink showing. Per the USDA recommendations, all ground meat is safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
What to serve with tacos
Tacos go well with a variety of Mexican side dishes. Consider making some of my other popular recipes to serve with the meal.
Ground Pork Tacos + Recipe Video
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil. When hot, add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cook 30 seconds more. Season with pinch of kosher salt.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, brown sugar and tomato paste, simmer on low for 2 minutes. Add the ground pork, water and orange juice. Break up the meat with the spoon. Stir and reduce for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Over a hot flame on the stovetop or on a grill, char the fresh, soft corn tortillas on both sides.
- Fill each taco shell with pork filling, pico de gallo or salsa verde, lettuce and pickled onions. Optional: drizzle with Mexican Crema.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.