Who doesn’t love that crispy, crunchy cheese that you get when it’s baked on the edge of a pizza or sandwich? How about with breadcrumbs and pesto? Well in this Gratinéed Cauliflower with Pesto Panko Breadcrumbs you’re in for a treat. Swap out the Panko for gluten-free breadcrumbs, too. I’ve made it both ways.
I first laid my eyes on this beauty from my friend Annie over at Ciao Chow Bambina. I figured I had to have a serving of it one evening and switched it up a little by cutting back on the butter and adding fresh pesto since I recently made a batch the night before. Please, go check out all the goodness she has on her site, too.
This is so easy to put together, has lots of wonderful al dente cauliflower and the cheese! Lots of wonderful cheese.
The Parmigiano-Reggiano gets all crispy crunchy. Browned and delectable, it tops the pesto breadcrumbs that sort of melt and get in between all the nooks and crannies of the cauliflower florets.
This is a great side dish for any meal. The addition of the pesto to the breadcrumbs added another level of subtle flavor. Fresh is best, but feel free to use store bought as well.
So there you have it, easy peasy and so tasty. Enjoy!
Gratinéed Cauliflower with Pesto Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup fresh pesto
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large microwave safe bowl add the florets and cover with water. Microwave on high for 6 minutes. Drain immediately and set aside.
- In a 9x9” baking dish smear the bottom with the butter and add the cauliflower florets.
- In a bowl add the breadcrumbs and pesto. Stir to mix. Sprinkle the pesto breadcrumbs over top and then add the Parmigiano as a final layer. Sprinkle the top with pepper.
- Bake until a light crust forms on the top, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm.