If you’re looking for a great, old fashioned dessert, then my Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler is one for you. A tasty, buttery batter gets poured over fresh seasonal berries of choice, is baked to a golden brown and is ready for a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream!
Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler
Digging into my mom’s recipe box for this one that my gramma used to make instead of her Apple Crisp, this is berry cobbler always hits the spot and is SUPER easy, too.
What’s in a cobbler?
The usual suspects are all here. Sugar, flour, butter and fresh berries like raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, too. I love the fresh varieties and of course strawberries can be used as well, just none at the moment looked as good as these berries I used.
This isn’t a heavy dessert with a thick crust or streusel topping either.
Is it a crumb or batter topping?
It’s definitely a batter! The batter that is poured over the berries is a light one, and after scattering more berries on top I sprinkle some finishing sugar on too for a little sweet crunch appeal.
As is or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream on top. That seals the deal for a simple, fresh and light dessert that’s great for the family, an office party, church gathering or group potluck.
For other fresh fruit or ice cream ideas, try these. Enjoy!
- Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp
Bing cherries covered in a simple flour, sugar, oat and egg crumble that gets melted butter poured on top and baked to a golden brown.
- Baked Hasselback Apples
I’ll show you step by step how to make a Baked Hasselback Apple. They open like a fan and the streusel melts in between each slice for one tasty dessert.
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups
No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups are made with crushed graham crackers, cream cheese and Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. They’re perfect for kid’s parties, the next office potluck or when that sweet tooth impulse strikes.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Semifreddo
Taking flavors from the American classic sandwich, this Peanut Butter and Jelly Semifreddo is more like a frozen mousse than ice cream, perfect anytime!
Gramma's Easy Berry Cobbler
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups berries
- 1 lemon zest only
- 1/4 cup finishing sugar (See Note 1)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 11x7" pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk. Whisk to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla and whisk until combined and a smooth batter.
- Scatter 2 cups of berries on bottom of pan and pour batter evenly over top. Sprinkle remaining cup of berries on top, zest from half the lemon and finishing sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
- Finishing sugar is crystalized sugar that is used in baked goods as a topping. It's crunchy, but feel free to substitute sugar if you can't find it.