I don’t know about you, but whenever I go to a restaurant and come across a dish I love I will ask the chef if they could possible pass on the recipe. Some do, some do not, but it’s always fun for me to try and reproduce the same dish later. Is the flavor profile right? Did I get the consistency correct? What did they use here, or there? Trials and many taste tests later – thanks Dave, I get it right, usually.
The other night I really was pressed for time, but wanted Indian, which usually includes some preparation and slow simmering. Vindaloo is a spicy and tangy sauce that incorporates coconut milk and chilies. The spices that make up a Vindaloo are usually ground cayenne, cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, mustard powder, ground ginger, cinnamon. With the addition of coconut milk and tamarind one is transported into another taste dimension. Spice and heat are balanced and the tropical taste is wonderful.
If you don’t have the time to create your own Vindaloo, you can order it from Maya Kaimal’s Fine Indian Foods. They carry her line at Costco as well. Amazing stuff, extremely authentic and great on flavor. In this recipe I make a big batch with chicken, vegetables, garbanzo beans and top it off with mouthwatering, crunchy French’s® French Fried Onions. It’s great for a big crowd or plenty of leftovers.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Easy Vindaloo Chicken Bake
- 1 roasted chicken
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
- 2 carrots
- 4 ribs of celery
- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1- 30 oz Maya Kaimal's Vindaloo Sauce
- FRENCH'S® French Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove the skin and bones from the roasted chicken and shred the meat. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and chop the carrot. Chop the celery and cilantro and put all vegetables in the chicken bowl, including the garbanzo beans.
- Pour the Vindaloo sauce over and mix thoroughly to incorporate completely.
- Pour mixture into a baking stone, or dish that has been prepared with a spray of PAM or oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°. Carefully top the baked chicken with the FRENCH'S® French Fried Onions and return to oven for 10 more minutes until they are crispy brown.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes and serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.