Using bone in chicken, sautéed vegetables and aromatic herbs like parsley and dill, this Easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is an all in one pot meal to warm you up and cure what ails you. All made in 30 minutes!
When I was a kid I would always get chicken noodle soup when I was sick. It was nutritious, soothing, warm and flavorful. The aroma alone would make me feel better and I hadn’t even tasted it yet! That happen to you?
Well this chicken noodle soup gets an update by way of the quick and dependable Instant Pot.
I like to use bone in, skin on chicken pieces for this for maximum flavor. After it cooked in the broth the skin and bones are discarded.
While I do love long noodles to slurp up, I often times will use a smaller or shorter pasta like Ditalini, or an elbow macaroni.
I like the vegetables firm, but not too crunchy. I feel the Instant Pot version here is spot on and keeps the total cooking time to 30 minutes!
I shred the chicken and back in the pot it all goes. With fresh herbs like dill and parsley (sometimes I like to use tarragon as well), this is a filling yet light soup. Perfect for what ails you and even if you’re not sick, is the perfect soup and salad dinner meal.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp thyme dry 1 tbsp if using fresh
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (fresh or low-sodium)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 2-3 lbs chicken with skin and bone-in
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup parsley fresh chopped (separated)
- 1 cup pasta uncooked, (See Note 2)
- 1 tsp dill dry 1 tbsp if using fresh (See Note 3)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Turn Instant Pot to the Saute setting and add the oil and butter stir until butter has melted. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Season with salt and pepper, thyme and stir. Add the flour and stir to coat and saute 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth and turmeric (optional). Add 1/4 cup of the parsley and the chicken pieces. Pour in 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to the Soup setting and set the timer to 8 minutes.
- Once the Soup cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is finished (about 10 minutes), or do a Quick Release (see manufacturers instructions). Remove the chicken pieces from the soup and shred the chicken.
- Add the noodles to the soup and set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting. Cook for another 4-5 minutes uncovered for al dente, or 6 minutes until the noodles are cooked. Add the dill and remaining 1/4 cup parsley, lemon juice and shredded chicken. Taste for seasoning and serve with bread for crackers.
- Feel free to substitute red pepper flakes for a little more kick.
- I use Ditalini here, but use any pasta noodle you prefer.
- I often time substitute tarragon for the dill, optional.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.