This ground beef taco recipe makes a Mexican meal that everyone loves. Make this taco meat recipe for a small group or to feed a crowd on game day or for Cinco de Mayo!
Ground Beef Taco Recipe
How can you go wrong with tacos? What’s great about these is, the taco meat recipe comes together in no time. Then, people can have fun building their own Mexican masterpiece.
Not to mention, a pound of ground beef goes a long way, especially when you use other filling and topping ingredients.
Best Seasoning For This Taco Meat Recipe
I know the the store bought taco spice packets make things easy, but it’s just as easy to make your own with pantry spices, and yours will have less salt.
My recipe for homemade taco seasoning is uncomplicated, but it packs an authentic flavor punch. Pantry staple herbs and spices are used like cumin, oregano and chili powder. I find Mexican oregano is best, along with ancho chili powder because it’s just that, not a mix of chilies.
Keep taco toppings simple so the seasoned beef is the star. Good toppings include pico de gallo, pickled red onions, shredded iceberg lettuce and cheese. Serve with roasted tomato salsa or roasted salsa verde on the side, too.
To keep it simple, you can use store bought taco shells, but I think they taste terrible. Instead, pick up soft white or yellow corn tortillas. Use a gas stove burner or grill to char them, heat them up and get them pliable. You could also deep fry in oil for a homemade crunchy shell taco, too.
You can make a pound of ground beef stretch with tacos! Figure on a quarter cup per taco.
This ground beef taco recipe post, originally published on June 3, 2019 was updated with new content July 27, 2021.
Ground Beef Taco Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90/10
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 small (6-inch round) corn tortillas
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil. When hot, add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cook 30 seconds more. Season with pinch of kosher salt.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, brown sugar and tomato paste, simmer on low for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and water. Break up the meat with the spoon. Stir and reduce for 10 minutes.
- Over a hot flame on the stovetop or on a grill, char the fresh, soft corn tortillas on both sides.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the beef filling and season to taste.
- Fill each taco shell with beef filling, cheese (optional), pico de gallo, lettuce and pickled onions.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.