Just a few more summer grilling posts, never! My grill is always on and for those of you who like to be adventurous these Cumin Chile Lamb Kabobs I am serving up today are a perfect example of this site for big and bold flavors, not an overwhelming prep and in your belly in no time.
The kicker in this lamb kabob for me is the caraway seed in the dry spice rub that includes cumin, chile peppers and other pantry spices. The cool and refreshing lemon garlic yogurt that’s drizzled on top of these is a perfect counter for them. I warmed up a pita, spread it with some hummus, a few other toppings and we were good to go!
The whole spices go in the spice grinder, or in my case a coffee bean grinder devoted to spices. Keep them chunky, not completely ground up. Rubbed on the lamb shoulder cubes of meat and get that grill going. Easy enough, right?
Whip up that lemon garlic yogurt sauce and set aside in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
Grilled for 4 minutes until a little charred and moved off to the side to cook another 4 minutes and you’re set.
I added some fresh hummus, quick pickled red onion slices and cilantro sprigs. Warm the flatbread or pita in microwave for 30 seconds and spread with hummus. Add grilled lamb kabob meat, drizzle with lemon garlic yogurt sauce, sprinkle with quick pickled red onion slices and cilantro.
I like to keep pickled red onions on hand in my refrigerator for different salads and as a garnish on Mexican dishes like my Broccoli Tarragon Salad of these Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Bowls. Simply thinly slice a red onion, cover it with rice wine vinegar and keep in your refrigerator. For this I would suggest allowing the onions to marinate at least 15-20 minutes if you don’t have any on hand. Wrap and enjoy!
Cumin Chile Lamb Kabobs
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
- olive oil
- Spice Rub:
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Lemon Garlic Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 clove garlic smashed and minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice zest (See Note1)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- pinch kosher salt
- Whisk together the garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and yogurt in a small bowl to combine. Season with salt and set aside in refrigerator, covered.
- In a spice or coffee grinder coarsely grind cumin seeds, peppercorns, caraway seeds, red pepper flakes, sugar and salt until only a few whole spices remain. This will be a coarse spice rub.
- Clean and heat grill to 425°F, indirect heat (for a charcoal grill, bank coals on one side of grill; for a gas grill, leave one or two burners off).
- In a bowl or plastic bag add cubed lamb and spice rub. Massage lamb, pressing spice blend onto the meat with your hands to coat.
- Thread lamb cubes onto 8-12 skewers, leaving a small gap between each piece of meat. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill lamb over direct heat, turning every minute or so, until browned and you see visible char marks, about 4 minutes. Move to cooler side of grill and continue to grill until lamb is cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes longer for medium-rare.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes on platter and serve with yogurt sauce, warm flatbread or pita and your favorite condiments (See Note 2).
2. I spread the warmed pita with hummus, added pickled red onion slices and chopped cilantro for toppings with a drizzle of the lemon garlic yogurt.