This Cucumber Apple Salad is packed with flavor, spice and crunch. If you’re looking for something different tonight in a salad, this is the one for you.
I was looking for a subtle sweetness to balance the spice and heat from the minced serrano pepper and a Honeycrisp apple did the trick with the crunch I wanted. If I can’t find a Honeycrisp my other go to apple is the Gala. I didn’t know if I wanted to go the cabbage slaw route at first and decided to just slice the red cabbage thin and mix it in without a mayonnaise based dressing like a slaw and use a citrus based one. My Mexican Lime tree out back is insanely on overload for producing and I like to use fresh whenever I can.
Seeing as I was making a home favorite of Green Chili Pork, I kept to the herb and spice theme of Latin flavors and used Mexican oregano, cumin, serrano and cilantro. I love to use Mexican oregano, it has such a different aroma than regular oregano, and if you can, find it and give it a try. I find it in most markets today or at your local latin market.
Some fresh garlic mashed and mixed with Mexican lime juice, olive oil, orange blossom honey made up the dressing.
Persian cucumbers are my recent find and I love then. Similar to the English in thinness, but not as long, these are compact and not as watery as regular cucumbers.
I sliced up some the cucumbers, green onions and diced a beautiful, bright orange bell pepper. Color, color, color… we eat with our eyes first, right? Season with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper and dig in.
This was such an amazing blend of flavor and texture as well as a beautiful looking salad. One I will be making time and time again for sure.
Cucumber Apple Salad
- 3 medium sized Persian cucumbers sliced
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple diced
- 1/4 head red cabbage sliced thin
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano chili pepper minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp orange blossom honey
- 2 Mexican limes juiced
- 2 garlic cloves mashed
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl mix the juiced Mexican limes, olive oil and honey. Whisk in the oregano, cumin, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- I wear gloves whenever working with peppers. Trim the stem end off and discard. Slice the serrano lengthwise and discard seeds and white membrane. Slice long strips and then cut crosswise. Mince into very small pieces and add to the dressing bowl and allow to rest for 10 minutes or more.
- Trim the ends off the cucumbers, slice down the middle lengthwise and chop. Dice the apple and orange bell pepper and add to the bowl with cucumbers. Thinly slice the red cabbage, and chop. Add the chopped green onions and cilantro and mix in the bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Keep chilled until ready to serve.