These Sesame Cheddar Cheese Crackers are super crispy! Made with two different cheeses, flour and spices, they’re perfect for loading up with appetizer dips and drinks. And the crunch factor is WOW!
This recipe doesn’t get any easier, really.
I was testing out a new quiche crust idea the other day and thought I’d incorporate cream cheese in the basic short-crust pastry in lieu of all the butter.
After two attempts, I decided this would be better suited on it’s own baked in a cracker form.
Ingredients for sesame cheddar cheese crackers
- Cheddar cheese – Use sharp, mild, or even a blend like Colby Jack. Just be sure that the block is firm enough to shred
- Cream cheese– Full fat is best here because it’s being used instead of butter
- Sesame seeds– I love toasted sesame seeds and think they add the perfect crunch to the cheddar cheese crackers.
- All purpose flour – You could probably use white whole wheat flour, but I don’t think 100% whole wheat will work very well with this recipe.
- Spices– Nothing fancy here; just basic pantry spices; celery salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
Blend in the cream cheese in by hand so the dough isn’t overworked. If you work it too much, your crackers will be tough (think day old biscuits). Wrap the log in plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer to firm up more.
They’re almost like biscuit crackers, because they’re crackers without yeast, and the dough is sliced to a 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness before baking. But they still end up crispy, which is the best part!
Check out the video in the recipe card below to see how easy the cheese crackers are to make.
Storing cheddar cheese crackers
If you store them in a airtight container, your cheddar cheese crackers will stay crispy for at least a week.
If you want to make more crackers, I have a recipe for Jalapeño Cheese Crackers, too!
This recipe post, originally published on December 15, 2017, was updated with new content July 21, 2021.
Sesame Cheddar Cheese Crackers + Video
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl add the cheddar cheese, flour, salt, garlic powder, sugar, celery salt and cayenne. Toss to coat the shredded cheese.
- Add the cream cheese cubes and working with your hands, blend all ingredients to form a dough that holds together.
- Shape dough into a log roughly 12 inches long and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove from plastic wrap and sprinkle sesame seeds on all sides, pressing to adhere.
- Carefully slice into 1/8″ to 1/4″ rounds and place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Allow to come to room temperature before serving or storing in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.