Sometimes only a warm and tasty soup is the cure for what ails you and this Cream of White Bean Soup with Chorizo sure hit the mark again this week. While I like a thick and chunky soup, sometimes a soothing broth or creamed soup is just what I’m needing.
My Mom’s Navy Bean Soup was always a house favorite when I was growing up. Served with sliced “franks” and some good old San Francisco sourdough bread we were all satisfied.
In this soup I wanted to take the white bean to another level with new spices and by pureeing the soup. With the ground chorizo and chopped pepitas replacing the hot dog slices this really hits the spot. The nuanced spices of cumin and celery salt adds a complexity with extra texture coming from a few beans not pureed and the chorizo on top.
If you haven’t tried it I highly recommend you look for Mexican oregano. It has a distinct flavor that is quite different from it’s Mediterranean cousin, and sometimes it “that” flavor your missing. It took me a while to figure out, but after talking to the produce man at my favorite Mexican market, he pointed it out to me and he was right. So I pass that on to you too. Another fun flavor note in this soup is the use of celery salt. It is just in the background, but enough that you can taste it and it compliments the soup well.
What I like about this one is that it can be made in 35 minutes tops and by using canned beans it still tastes quite exceptional.
I love to soak and cook my beans from scratch, but sometimes we just don’t have time for that. While I have posted about a quick soaking method, feel free to use canned in this soup. Also, if you like chorizo and or want to make it from scratch, I have a few other recipes you may like to look at here. Quinoa Corn and Chorizo Stuffed Bell Peppers, Homemade Chorizo Meatballs in Cilantro Masa Cups or Empanadas Mendocinas, too.
I like to serve this with some crunchy tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Cream of White Bean Soup with Chorizo
- 6 cups white beans cooked
- 8 ounces chorizo
- 1/3 cup pepitas roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half cream or milk
- Mexican Crema
- In a skillet over medium heat brown the chorizo, drain excess oil. Stir in chopped pepitas and set aside.
- In large stock pot sauté the onion with cumin, Mexican oregano, kosher salt, garlic and celery salt for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the 4 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reserve a 1/4 cup cooked beans for garnish. Add the cooked white beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a hand immersion blender, blender or Vitamix CAREFULLY purée until smooth. Add the half-and-half cream or milk and stir.
- Serve with chorizo on top and a drizzle of crema.