This Cranberry Coffee Cake has a brown sugar streusel that’s a crumbly and sweet contrast to the tangy cranberry jam that tops this super moist coffee cake. Made with fresh cranberries, dried cherries and orange, it’s mere minutes to make. A perfect dessert for holiday dinner guests!
I made this 4 times to get it where I wanted to post and share with you guys. There are always taste testings going on here and some are flops, and others make the cut. I love the cherry and cranberry combination, and with orange, it sets it all off nicely. To counter the tang I added honey and found it a wonderful spread on toast, too. This recipe makes a little more of the cranberry jam that’s needed, so you can test it out yourself. I think it’d be nice with cream cheese and a bagel too come to think of it. 🙂
This coffee cake is light and airy and holds up to the toppings without feeling heavy. Made moist by using eggs and yogurt, I decided the cream cheese route wasn’t going to happen. In one try it was in the cake itself while another attempt had the cream cheese whipped in with the cranberry topping. The baking just wasn’t coming out how I had anticipated so back to the drawing board… and store again.
On the last version of this Cranberry Coffee Cake I opted for a brown sugar streusel instead of using white sugar and I was set.
After it baked and was how I wanted it, on the rack it went to cool.
Just for a little festive look I topped this with fresh cranberries and a dusting of powdered sugar. This is optional of course, but I think it looks pretty. For other breakfast or dessert cakes check out my Lemon Rosemary Cake, Pineapple Cashew Coffee Cake, or my Chocolate Almond Tea Cake. Enjoy!
Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- large orange zest and juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dried cherries chopped optional
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Crumble Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch spring form pan.
- Cranberry Sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat cook the cranberries, sugar, orange juice and zest until the fruit begins to break down. Stir in cherries and turn to low until reduced to a thick jam like consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Topping: In a small bowl, stir the flour and sugar together to blend. Add the butter and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Cake: In a medium bowl or electric mixer, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add the eggs, yogurt and beat until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Spread 1 cup of the cranberry sauce on top evenly. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for other use. Sprinkle the topping over cranberry mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes and remove the from the spring form pan.