I always find it a fun challenge to come up with new ways to enjoy leftovers. These Couscous Veggie Patties are superb, easy to make and a perfect side or lunch and can be on the table in about 20 minutes, too. Sound good?
In today’s post I’m using up the leftover couscous from a recipe I recently posted, Almond Couscous with Pomegranate.
I am also using a spice blend that I’ve previously written a recipe for, Ras el Hanout. It’s a Moroccan spice blend that basically translates to “top of the shop”. If you were to go to a Moroccan spice merchant it would be his treasured spice to sell. It’s my favorite spice blend for tagine recipes and works beautifully in these Couscous Veggie Patties.
If you have not made the spice blend, can’t find it, or want a quick and easy substitute, you can use equal parts turmeric, coriander, ginger and a pinch of mint. While the original version contains many spices, mine has 15, it’s a killer one to have on hand for that “exotic” flavor.
These couscous patties are packed with good things. Diced red peppers, green onions and parsley are in the mix, but as you can see I have sliced almonds and a few pomegranate arils from the original recipe. Play with this and add what you like. Just be sure they can be formed into patties that hold together.
I use my ice cream scoop to make the patties and placed them in a hot skillet to get all crispy brown. Don’t over crowd it, we want these crisp and not steamed.
A gentle press from a spatula helps form the patty after the one side gets sautéed a bit.
These a light and healthy lunch or perfect with a nice meal as a side. With a squeeze of lemon on top the flavor are exploding. The crispy, browned edges of the couscous, crunch of the vegetables and spices are a perfect way to escape to Morocco for a moment. At least in my mind. Enjoy!
Couscous Veggie Patties
- 2 cups couscous cooked
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ras el hanout
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- In a bowl mix all of the ingredients up to the oil.
- In a skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and with a scoop form the couscous and place in the pan.
- Allow to sauté for 2-3 minutes and gently press down to form a patty with a spatula. Sauté until golden brown and flip carefully. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan to drain on paper towel and season with kosher salt. Serve with slices of fresh lemon.