Who is up for Chocolate Peppermint Stuffed Sandwich Cookies? Well get prepared for a tender chocolate cookie filled with a peppermint buttercream filling that gets crunch appeal from candy cane crumbs.
‘Tis the season, right? Scharffen Berger Unsweetened cocoa is used in these bad boys, but feel free to use whatever brand you like. I wanted a light chocolate flavor as the star here is the flavor of the holidays, peppermint.
With a little addition of crushed candy canes pressed onto the delicious, creamy buttercream filling it’s decadent, but in a small way!
I thought by using a tablespoon scooper when making the cookies it wouldn’t be such a huge cookie, just enough, especially when sandwiched together around this wonderful, sweet vanilla filling.
The cookie dough makes 40 of these little cookies, which are perfectly delicious all on their own with a hint of peppermint.
It was really hard not to eat all of these little guys.
Luckily I made them for a Christmas meeting I needed to attend this week so we just had a taste tester or three.
These chocolate peppermint stuffed sandwich cookies are perfect to take to school parties for the kids, to have for your holiday dessert table and really, just anytime. They are delicious.
The cookie holds up well and doesn’t get mushy and the hint of peppermint and chocolate are perfect – in moderation of course.
Oh heck, go for it, it’s the holidays!
Chocolate Peppermint Stuffed Sandwich Cookies start with a tender chocolate cookie filled with a peppermint buttercream filling with candy cane crumbs. This yields 40 cookies which makes 20 sandwich cookies total.
- For the cookie:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa Scharffen Berger Unsweetened
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp of milk + 1 tsp
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crunched candy cane pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the egg, peppermint and vanilla extracts and cocoa and mix until combined thoroughly. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Scoop 1 tablespoon cookie balls onto cookie sheets. This should make 40 cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges get slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before adding filling.
- For filling: Beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar, milk, salt and vanilla. Mix until creamy. Place filling in a piping bag and distribute over half the cookies. Top with other cookies and press gently. Roll the cookies edges in a bowl with crushed candy canes pieces and press to adhere.