This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares are ridiculously delicious, addictive and I have a new video to show you just how easy to make, too. I had the idea to make churros with dipping chocolate but the thought of cleaning up put a halt to that idea pronto. Though it got me thinking of cinnamon and chocolate (doesn’t everyone dip their churros in melted chocolate?) and after seeing a rice krispie treat the other day online I thought I’d work a little magic.
These are off the hook good. Seriously. I made these and brought them to a meeting and all 23 were gone in a hot flash. Before I could say dig in folks there was nothing left but the chocolate drips on the parchment paper. Note I said 23, I needed to test one, right? But really, look at these and tell me they’re not going to be incredible. The cinnamon is in the melted marshmallow, so, so good!
A while back I saw a recipe for Churro Rice Krispie Treats over on Kitchen Konfidence by Brandon. He said he was inspired by a local San Diego baking company, Bliss & Baker a small-batch baking company specializing in artisan “rice crispie” treats.
I needed to switch it up a bit and chocolate had to be involved.
Instead of sprinkling the cinnamon sugar mixture on top I would put the cinnamon in the marshmallow, too. Guaranteed cinnamon and chocolate in every bite!
Now this one is definitely indulgent.
I opted to lessen the amount of butter, skipped the added sugar from his recipe and stuck to the original on the back of the cereal box. I added some amazing vanilla from Nielsen-Massey Vanilla, sprinkled the cinnamon in the melting butter and marshmallow mixture then tossed those Rice Krispies in.
The aroma was amazing and I moved quickly with a spatula to spread on a large baking sheet to cool and later cut.
Needless to say I used a really large baking sheet, not the recommended 13×9″ pan, but my cookie 17.5×12.5″ sheet pan. I immediately thought they’d bee too thin to hold their shape for dipping and decided to double-decker those bad boys after they cooled and seal them with melted dark chocolate in between. Saved that goof.
What came out of this was a crazy good, super easy and fun dessert treat that I promise is not overly sweet like you might think, but will be gone in no time. Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares! Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published here on Kevin Is Cooking on August 12, 2016 and has been updated with a new video.
Chocolate Cinnamon Rice Krispie Squares
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet (17.5x12.5”) or two 13x9” pans with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot (see Note 1) melt butter over low heat. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and stir with spatula. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Quickly add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Coat a spatula with butter or cooking spray and evenly press mixture into pan or pans (See Note 2). Allow to cool and get firm.
- Once firm, lift out of pan by parchment paper and carefully slice in half vertically, you will have two 8.75x12.5” pieces (see image).
- Melt chocolate wafers in microwave at two 30 seconds blasts, stirring in between to get smooth. Spread half of melted chocolate on half of the larger sheet and flip opposite layer on top of chocolate or one of the two smaller 8.75x12.5” pans of cooled rice krispies and top with other layer.
- Slice into 24 squares (4 slices lengthwise and 6 across) Drizzle remaining melted chocolate (See Note 3) on top and serve.
2. Either coat the spatula or spritz a little cooking spray on surface of Rice Krispie treats and smooth out.
3. You may need to blast the melted chocolate again for 15 seconds to smooth if thickened.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.