You ever smell the aroma of a dinner getting made and then when it’s plated in front of you and you take that first bite… it’s exactly as it smells? Amazing. Well this Creamy Chicken Madeira is one of those meals. #Droolworthy
I was thinking of a rich, flavorful sauce to coat the chicken I pan-fried and seasoned with some Italian Seasonings. This classic combination of aromatic herbs is an equal mix of usually thyme, oregano, basil and marjoram and the use of homemade chicken stock makes it just all the better.
White wine, Madeira or Port would be the basis of the sauce, alcohol burned off of course, and the resulting flavor napped over each crispy piece of chicken served over rice and steamed vegetables was the result.
I chose Madeira, which is a wonderful spirit to use in cooking, the aroma is sublime. No substitute for it in my book.
How to make chicken madeira
I sautéed some shallots in butter and olive oil, then added sliced mushrooms, madeira and chicken stock. Reduced it by half and added the cream to reduce again for an absolutely delicious sauce to pour over sautéed golden brown chicken.
What to serve this with?
I made this Creamy Chicken Madeira with steamed broccoli that had lemon zest tossed in and steamed rice, which takes 20 minutes to cook so plan accordingly.
Super easy and quick.
You’re going to love this one and your dinner guests will, too. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking March 2013 and has been updated with new copy, and photographs.
Creamy Chicken Madeira
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 tbsp butter (separated)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- If chicken is large, slice each breast horizontal for 2 cutlets per breast. Season both sides with kosher salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning. Dust each side with flour. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil. Sauté for several minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy (internal temp should be 165°F).
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel on a plate - keep warm, covered with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the shallots until almost translucent and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for several minutes, stirring.
- To the sauté pan over medium heat add the chicken stock, madeira and scrape the bits of cooked pieces on bottom of pan.
- Add the cream, whisking to incorporate, bring to a boil and allow sauce to reduce and thicken, 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat then add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, stirring to incorporate. Pour sauce over chicken and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.