Walking into my local Sprouts Market I walked around for a little dinner inspiration and came upon some freshly ground chicken. I decided to make some chicken meatballs and smother them in a Pesto Alfredo sauce over gnocchi. It worked, and was pretty simple to make in no time.
These baked, moist chicken Parmesan meatballs were abundant in flavor from the cheese, red pepper flakes and lemon zest and texture from the onions and toasted pine nuts. Napped in a combination of two of my favorite pasta sauces it always works, as Dave is not a big fan of a red sauce. I wasn’t in the mood to make homemade gnocchi, but that will be for another day and recipe. The brand I used was Gia Russa Potato Gnocchi, which cooks in 3 minutes and is light and not a heavy one.
Preheat oven to 400°. Makes 24 meatballs.
Chicken Parm Meatballs with Pine Nuts
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 1/2 onion diced fine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 egg whisked
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all the ingredients – except for the last olive oil, and mix well.
- With a small scoop, make 24 meatballs and roll with your hands, arrange them on a foil lined cookie sheet pan.
- Using a brush coat each meatball with the olive oil.
- Bake on the top rack for 18 mins.
- When ready, remove meatballs from oven and serve dropped in Pesto Alfredo sauce and gnocchi.