A great salad made with most things already on hand in the kitchen and pantry, this Chicken Curry Salad is a blend of freshness and flavorful bites. Cubed rotisserie chicken, fruit, vegetables and nuts are dressed in a mixture of mayonnaise, Major Grey chutney and lime juice. So easy and perfect for BBQs and potlucks!
You ever have some of those recipes that are so good, but with so many options it gets tucked away and often times forgotten? Well the other day Dave mentioned if I had the recipe for his mom’s chicken curry salad.
I looked and looked and couldn’t find the recipe. I knew we enjoyed it, so I had to have made it since she doesn’t live with us.
Needless to say we called her up and she emailed us the recipe. I made a few adjustments to suit our likes and wanted to share it with you today.
Not overly dressing, and by allowing it to sit overnight, the flavors all came together and melded into one sweet, savory and tangy salad. No one needs a goopy, over dressed salad. I love to serve this over mixed greens and with a extra flavor crunch of almonds and chopped fresh cilantro. Purely optional.
Perfect for any Summer BBQ, potluck or light lunch. Cubes of rotisserie chicken breast meat are used and the crunch of apple, celery and grapes mixed with red onion and almonds make for one tasty salad. The lime and curry powder are bright and earthy, while the Major Grey chutney packs some subtle Indian influenced flavor and takes this salad to the next level.
This can be made and kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I actually doubled the recipe (as seen in the video) and had it waiting for us after a weekend out of town with family so it was waiting for us all to enjoy. After 2 days of hiking in Anza-Borrego this was a perfect ending to a fun weekend.
Chicken Curry Salad
- 3 cups cooked chicken , cubed (See Note 1)
- 2 cups seedless red grapes , halved
- 2 cups celery , chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple , cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion , diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Major Grey Chutney
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp lime juice (See Note 2)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl mix together the cubed, cooked chicken, grapes, celery, apple, onion, raisins and almonds. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder, lime juice and zest and salt.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Chill covered for 4 hours minimum , best overnight.
- Stir and serve over mixed greens, topped with more slivered almonds and chopped cilantro.
- I generally use Costco rotisserie chicken, which run a little larger than market rotisserie chicken. 2 breasts cubed should be about 3 cups. If more, reserve for other use.
- 1 to 2 limes should yield 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, depending on size.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.