Walking through the vegetable section of my local market my eyes went immediately to this amazing, bright and colorful purple cauliflower. I instantly thought of my Broccoli Tarragon Salad and how good the combination would be by including this beautiful vegetable. I hadn’t tried raw cauliflower in a salad before, but I’m here to test them first and pass the good recipes on to you.
This works, it didn’t disappoint and while my first thought was they might just crumble when crunched on, they held their own and paired beautifully to make one tasty Cauliflower Broccoli Salad.
By using mayonnaise in the marinade and dressing base this salad of fresh, raw vegetables gets completely coated and softened. The acidic flavor, with the hint of red onions, with the vinegar, mustard and tarragon wakes up the palette and the honey gives that little sweet edge. It was a great side salad to the Curry, Five Spice Dry Rubbed Pork Ribs I made.
In this recipe I am using an amazing purple cauliflower although the most common white variety can easily be substituted.
Cauliflower Broccoli Salad
- For the Salad:
- 1 large crown of purple cauliflower about 2 cups
- 2 medium crowns and stalks of broccoli about 2 cups
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2-3 Tbsp pepitas toasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 2-3 Tbsp golden raisins or dried cranberries
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar reserved from marinated red onions
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dry tarragon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl add the sliced red onions and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar or enough to cover. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into florets and trim and chop the stalks as well if you like to bite size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the marinated red onions, carrots, pepitas and golden raisins.
- In a mixing bowl add the mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of the drained rice wine vinegar from the marinated red onions and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper, whisk thoroughly and let stand to let flavors marry.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to completely coat the vegetables and chill for 20-30 minutes prior to serving.