This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A tasty side dish that’s sure to please, these Carrots with Pistachio Herb Butter are a new house favorite. Tender yet crisp to the bite, these carrots get crunch appeal from pistachios sprinkled on top, and in, this wonderful lime and mint butter.
It’s the unexpected pop of freshness in the herb nut butter coating them that makes this, plus, did I mention there’s cheese in the mix? So good!
This one comes to the table after sitting in my dentist’s waiting room and seeing a magazine under the chair. I picked it up, flipped through and instantly my eyes went to this recipe. My name was called so I quickly took a photo with my phone to check out later and off I went to get the pearly whites cleaned.
This is a quick and tasty herb butter made with pulsed pistachios, parsley, mint and butter in the food processor. A little Sriracha and lime zest add some zip and freshness and then there’s the cheese. Parmigiano-Reggiano to be exact, but feel free to use parmesan cheese.
I peeled and cut up four large carrots into little batons about two inches long, covered them with water and in the microwave for 6 minutes they went. I wanted them cooked, but still crisp. Tender and yet not too mushy. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
A quick sauté in the cast iron skillet with the pistachio herb butter and we were good to go. This is a creamy, nutty and bright sauce that works so well with the carrots. I served this with my Cranberry Turkey Meatballs. The original recipe says to use three pounds of carrots and it serves eight people. I used four large carrots, I have no idea on the weight, but this herb butter was enough for two batches so I wrapped the remaining half of the herb butter in plastic wrap and froze it for another night.
These Carrots with Pistachio Herb Butter are a new house favorite that is poppin’ with flavor. Enjoy!
Carrots with Pistachio Herb Butter
- 1/2 cup salted roasted, shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp packed finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce of choice
- 3 lb . carrots peeled and cut into pieces about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Pulse the pistachios in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Set aside half of the nuts. Pulse the remaining nuts until they are quite fine but not pasty. Add the parsley and mint, and pulse until the herbs are finely chopped. Add the butter, cheese, zest, Sriracha, and salt. Pulse until a well blended paste.
- Combine the carrots and 1 tsp. salt in a 4-quart saucepan and add enough water to just cover. Cover the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook to your liking, about 5 minutes for crisp-tender.
- Reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the carrots, and then return them to the pan. Add the butter in pieces and toss to melt and coat the carrots. Add the lime juice and some of the reserved water, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and more lime juice. Serve topped with the reserved pistachios.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.